Pages

Sunday 28 April 2024

Silverlocks and Golden Syrup

 Thank you for all the comments about how you like your porridge.  I couldn't resist doing a couple of taste tests, but more about that later.

An early 1918 cookery magazine, Isobel's Home Cookery, wrote a feature on how to make up for the shortage of milk and other dairy products.   No problem!  The magazine had lots of helpful suggestions to make porridge more nourishing when milk was not available.

Here is just one recipe, presented in their words. 

Creamed Porridge

A nice name goes a long way, you know!
There's not a drop of cream in it, but it tastes just as smooth and rich as if there was any amount.

I take the best of the dripping from the weekly joint "render" it carefully, so that it may not have the very least flavour of the meat, and beat a little of it into the porridge just before serving.  I allow one good teaspoonful of dripping for each child.

Don't boil the porridge after the dripping is in.
Don't add salt - it is not necessary.
If you use margarine, take twice the quantity-it contains much less actual fat than dripping.
Serve the porridge very hot, or the fat will cake on top and look horrid.
Serve hot syrup with it.  Sugar is not very nice without milk-it is too gritty.

The children simply love creamed porridge, and I think, myself, that it is far and away nicer than the plain kind.

For the sake of the children, I hope syrup was cheap and plentiful.

Unfortunately, further reading shows me that syrup was often not available.    Not to worry, those resourceful cooks at Isobel's had a recipe for a substitute made with dates, glucose and water, if dates and glucose were available, of course.




As for the shortage of milk for a bedtime drink, they recommended a soup made with rice water.  Fry an onion in a little good dripping.  To each onion add a quart of rice water and flavour well with salt-no pepper if the children are to have it.

According to the article, children much prefer it it to hot milk...  

Last word on porridge.  


If only I had golden hair and were many decades younger, I could have presented this little experiment in the manner of Goldilocks and the three bears because that is what it felt like as I sampled three variations of serving porridge.

I tried it with brown sugar and evap, melted butter into another one,  and drizzled golden syrup into the third.  

I discovered that my years of eating porridge without sweetness (other than that added by the evap) made the brown sugar and golden syrup versions far too sweet for my taste.

The butter was interesting.  It definitely made the plain porridge a nicer consistency.  

Old Silverlocks here, will be sticking to plain porridge with evap, but I did enjoy the little experiments, so thank you.








18 comments:

  1. I like porridge just made with milk, cow or soya, I don't mind which. I like it so thick that the spoon will stand up in it. I admit to sprinkling sugar on top before I eat it. When I was staying in Russia the lady asked me what I normally had for breakfast at home and I said porridge so she said she would make me some next day. It turns out that Russians use semolina for porridge. She made it with a great hunk of butter floating about on the top and it was awful. She had made a huge saucepanful for the whole week! She didn't understand when I said we don't make it with semolina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh joy! Enough semolina for a whole week! Nevertheless, it is marvellous when a food memory (good or bad) can whisk us back through time and place. Did you manage to dispose of it in some way, other than eating the darned stuff?
      Definitely no gruel in this house, I like my porridge good and thick, too. Proper stick to the ribs and tummy warming breakfast.
      Thanks, Rachel.

      Delete
    2. I feel awful but I declined to eat it. The semolina was made worse by the fact that she had floated a whole 8 oz of butter in it and she was so thrilled with what she had done. It was one of the lesser moments of staying with Irena. And there was no dollop of jam to mix around in it. The next morning the saucepan had gone from the stove and it wasn't mentioned again.

      Delete
    3. Not worth feeling awful about, I imagine that once cooled down it could probably be cut up like a cake, so perhaps she shared it with family or friends.

      Delete
  2. We use up the brandy butter in our porridge after Christmas. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelligrace, now that just sounds decadent...how long have we got 'til Christmas? (Experimental purposes only, of course.)

      Delete
  3. A Malaysian friend who came to this country to train as a nurse was homesick and mentioned to a friend that porridge was a favourite comfort food so the friend made her some. It was a disappointment as she was expecting porridge made with rice. Rachel's comment above suggests that poridge is made with whatever the local cheap carbohydrate happens to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfort food, for sure, Mary. I hope your Malaysian friend eventually got what she craved, the taste of home.
      For me, semolina represents one of the least liked puddings at Junior school. Not even stirring a dollop of red jam into it, turning it pink, could make it anything more than wallpaper paste.

      Delete
  4. My grandmother always ate porridge for breakfast, with butter and ground sunflower seeds. I don't think I ever tried it. The ground sunflower seeds were a grey colour and didn't look appetising. And the porridge was made from ground millet. It must have been healthy. She lived into her 90s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgive me if I don't experiment with this one, Linda! I am tempted by her longevity but you lost me at the grey colour!

      Delete
  5. When I was a child we had cereal for breakfast every day. Oatmeal, or cream of wheat or rice. I liked them all and served them to my children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good nourishing food, plain and simple. My favourite kind.

      Delete
  6. Memories! Now I am craving some porridge like Mum made, with some muesli added to the oats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how cold it has been lately, it would be a great time to indulge, Nelliegrace.

      Delete
  7. Yes you have to be easy on the golden syrup...it can quickly go from lovely to far too sweet and spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very interesting to connect with our past and cook!
    I love oats!
    Thanks for the recipes!
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is the simplest dishes which can work a little magic!
      Lovely to see you, Katerina. Have a great week.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.