Pages

Wednesday 31 January 2018

Along the Bridle Path


Today I took Toby to the far end of a very quiet bridle path.   Walk far enough along it and explore a little and you can see this beautiful old house, which has been standing empty since 1960. 



The filthy state of the windows is quite a good clue, though I didn't realise that it had been empty for almost 60 years, until I read up about it on the internet.

To my back, as I took the photographs, was a duck pond with farm buildings beyond.    The house was built in the 17th century, then refronted in the early 18th century.  It is Grade II listed by English Heritage.

The 'village' had a medieval church which was demolished in 1778.  A new building was constructed in 1871 but that was demolished in 1976.   Next time I go along the bridle path I intend to explore to see what remains of the churchyard.

Just behind the manor house there is a motte and bailey castle, which I hope to explore more fully next time. 

Toby and I turned for home, back along the bridle way, past a couple of beautiful farm houses, the other manor house at the far end of the pathway and down the hill towards the watermill. 




Here's a slightly different view of the watermill, the entrance gate.     Home  is just around the corner.

I never cease to be amazed by just how many interesting things can be found practically on our doorstep, if only we care to look.   Of course it also helps if you are prepared to pull on your walking boots and just get out there in the fresh air to explore.

Time for a cup of tea and a read.

6 comments:

  1. How sad that house has stood empty so long. Did you find out who owns it in your search?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not, Marcia. Next time I meet up with one of our older residents I'll be sure to ask about it. It is a beautiful old place in a very tranquil setting.

      Delete
  2. Odd the place should remain empty that long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems really strange, Bill. It has been 'relatively recently' re-roofed, so someone is taking some degree of care of the place. I need to investigate, satisfy my curiosity.

      Delete
  3. How sad that it has been empty for so many years. I'm happy that you intend to do more investigating about this place. I want to know too!!! :-)

    Being listed by English Heritage, as Grade II, doesn't do anything to insure that it is maintained much, I take it.

    Looks like you have officially entered mud season. Here, we still have snow, and cold temps. It is yet to come, for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello wisps of words, No chance to investigate at the moment, but I will definitely let you know if I manage to find any information. A day of very heavy rain and the occasional flash of sunshine here, which means that the fields are going to be muddy for at least another week or so.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.