Pages

Wednesday 24 January 2018

The Western Isles





This is where I lived in the late 1960's.
A semi-derelict old croft house
no running water
no toilet
no kitchen.
We did have electricity, an electric cooker which gave shocks to the unwary
and an Elsan loo
so we had some of the comforts in life.

We were living in the Western Isles.
Lochganvich
almost smack bang in the centre of the Isle of Lewis.






The two low buildings were a byre and the barn
and
the room which passed for our kitchen
had a door leading straight into them.
Very handy.





I was 14 years old when we went to live on the island;
the first six months were spent living in Stornoway
later we rented a croft house in the same village as this place.
They were wonderful years.

Unfortunately for us, the family who had rented the first croft house to us
needed it back for themselves,
at short notice,
so Ivor, another local crofter,
offered us the use of this place
as a stop-gap.
It was barely habitable
but as it was only going to be for five or six months we took it,
gratefully.


The previous croft house
had seemed primitive when we first arrived
back in 1967
but compared to this one it was a luxury pad!

Our neighbours there were Old John and his wife Marion.
They took the arrival of this family of Sassenachs in their stride
and made us extremely welcome,
taking us under their wing.


Their croft was just a short walk across the field.
There was always a cup of tea and a 'strupak' to hand.
Usually this would be some Scotch Pancakes
freshly made by Marion
sometimes thickly buttered 
or
served with fresh crowdie
 made with cream from their cow.


I spent most of my spare time
with Marion or Old John.
Marion taught me how to milk the cow
and
 was always willing to let me tag along when she went out
to tend the other cattle
out on the croft.
Wellies on,  we'd tie our headscarves on tightly,
to try to combat the midges,
then off we would go.

Old John taught me to tend the sheep,
give them basic injections
shear them by hand 
help with rounding them up ready for dipping.
They were glorious days.

As a family we learned the art of digging the peat
cutting them to the right size so that
we could throw them out onto the bank
for drying
 and 
 stacking.
Marion taught us what we needed to know
and the whole village
included us in their
round of peat stacking
and stack building
evenings.
Thus ensuring that we had enough peat
to see us safely through the winters.


So many memories have come to the fore because I have been reading some of the
Lillian Beckwith books again,
they were my mother's copies,
I have had them since she died.
I recently managed to buy the Lillian Beckwith Hebridean Cookbook
for 1p (plus postage)
from a well known website.




Lillian Beckwith lived on an island in the Inner Hebrides
during the 1940/50's.   After that she went to live on the Isle of Man,
another island which holds a special place in my heart.

My elder son gave me a book about life on the Isle of Soay, for Christmas.
Soay just happens to be the island where Lillian Beckwith lived
during her time in the Hebrides.


Not quite the way most people remember the 1960's, perhaps.
Glorious, golden, memories.
(I hated the school though.   More of that another time.)

8 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your years growing up on the island. Someday, I hope to visit the Hebrides. Enjoy your day, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do visit the islands, you won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story! It reminded me vaguely of our stay in Crete in an 80 ye old house. At least we had a primitive kitchen and bathroom.
    Fantastic childhood memories!
    I love those books. Think I have read them all and given them away. Must look again for one.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. The book characters definitely hold elements of the people we knew up there; they were wonderful.

      Delete
  3. That's so interesting. I had a copy of Lillian Beckwith's book 'The hills is lonely' and loved it. She had a wonderful way of putting things - so funny. Life must have been quite tough on times. Thank you for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I often think that my version was the fun side and my mother had to cope with the tough stuff, but she had very fond memories of our years there, so it couldn't have been too awful.

      Delete
  4. I started reading this thinking you were writing a poem or quoting someone's poem. I had to go back and reread once I realized you were writing from your experiences growing up. Fascinating! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Marcia, they were certainly very different times.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.