Pages

Saturday 27 January 2018

The Kettle in the Woods



The ancient woodland is offering up some unexpected gifts, like this old kettle which I found tucked inside an old hollow tree not far from where the railway line used to skirt the woods.   

Left behind by long-ago campers?

Or, perhaps, it was used by the old railway signalman for a quick brew between trains?

I know from talks with one of our village elders that the old Home Guard would meet in the woods, by the railway line, during the war.     Apparently they had a hut somewhere along there, where they would meet on a Sunday.   When they got bored with the lack of action they got up a tug of war team, no doubt a quick brew was needed after that?

The woodland is an incredible place, I love it in there, although I must admit to a brief moment of disquiet when Toby ran off after a deer, while I was looking at the kettle.   I whistled for him, then suddenly remembered the old M R James ghost story 'Whistle and I'll come to You'. 

I took only a photograph of the kettle.   😀  After all, I don't want to risk 😱.


7 comments:

  1. Fun post, Elaine. I love to find treasures amoungst the trees. It's nice to have some history of your favorite walking trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real treasures will come along soon, the spring flowers. Knowing that this woodland has only been woodland, never farmed, should make it quite special.

      I hope Audrey is continuing to hold her own.

      Delete
  2. Love your story!
    A wood full of surprises. Lovely place for a walk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That woodland is full of surprises and once I get to the interior it is a green and mysterious place. I have even had to use the compass ap on my phone to find my way out.

      Delete
  3. Good for you getting in your daily walks. Toby benefitting too, I imagine. That kettle doesn't look like its very old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toby is a much fitter dog now and has finally found his fresh air and exercise mojo! The age of the kettle is relative, Marcia. To my grandchildren it is an ancient artifact!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful place, your woodland.

    Never heard that ghost story! Now I must look it up. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.