Pages

Monday 29 January 2018

Pounding those City Pavements

Today I exchanged my muddy boots and waxed jacket for some much neater footwear and smarter clothing. 

A visit to Lincoln, my favourite city, is always a treat. 
   
We parked at the top of the hill, near the cathedral and then set off down Steep Hill to the High Street.

I borrowed this photograph from my original blog applebeesatpeartree.blogspot
I had hoped to be able to take plenty of fresh photographs, unfortunately the heavens opened and I simply didn't have enough hands to be able to spare one for the camera.



The interesting old buildings remain the same; so these photographs from a few years back will do nicely!        The lovely white and black building used to be packed to the gunnels with secondhand books, they have gone now, the place is empty and it looks as though someone is working on the interior.


The handmade chocolate shop is still there, in fact when I glanced inside the woman even looked to be standing in exactly the same position as the last time I visited.    I managed to resist temptation by the simple device of telling myself that I'd get some chocolates on the way back up the hill.   By the time I get back up the hill I am usually too worn out to be bothered.   
Saves money, saves calories.

Talking of calories, I took my pedometer with me and was shocked to find that I clocked up well over 9,500 steps walking around the city.    It had the advantage of not being muddy, so no need for Wellington boots, but my feet ached with walking on the hard pavements.




 
Like everyone else, we were puffing a bit by the time we had climbed back up Steep Hill, but the trick is to keep moving, reduce your pace but don't stop, unless you have a health problem, of course!

Then home again, home again and don't spare the horses.   

This country mouse has had enough of people, pavements, and persistent precipitation.





6 comments:

  1. Evry tim eyou visit a place you see somthing new even if it is only a small thing. I used a pedometer at work to see how far we walked, turned out we were covering a good 10 miles which shocked my mate any myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lincoln never disappoints, even in the rain. You must be as fit as a butcher's dog with all that walking, Bill!

      Delete
  2. What a nice city. That hill would be tough going at any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do occasionally think about parking at the bottom of the hill, Marcia, but that would be too easy!

      Delete
  3. Oh what beautiful buildings. Thank you so much, for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lincoln has so many of them, you would love it.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.