Pages

Sunday 28 January 2018

How Low can You Go?

These days there are robot vacuum cleaners, gizmos which 'obey your spoken command' others  can allow you to remotely watch what your pet is getting up to during the day and can even spit out a treat or allow you to remotely speak to them.     Heating, lighting and musical gadgets...so many to choose from. 

Not in my home, not yet.

Of course I have gadgets and gizmos, they creep in everywhere, but simple low-tech gadgets and tools have a place, too.


Take this not beautiful, but oh so practical,  boot jack and the two elastic bands.   They don't work together, but they are the key to making my dog walking life easier.

The boot jack makes levering off my boots easy.  No need to call for help, jack makes short work of a difficult job.   My husband made it for me out of scrap wood.

The muddy boots are my winter walking Wellingtons, thickly lined, specially cushioned and tailored to allow for safe and comfortable walking.  They are a delight to wear but the very devil of a difficult job to remove unaided, which makes having 'sleepy' socks a big problem when I am out on a walk.

The solution was simple, those two elastic bands.  They are the perfect size for gently keeping my socks in the right place without cutting off my circulation.

No more hopping around, trying to wrestle a Wellie off my foot, in order to pull up a sock - only to have it snoring again within minutes, or alternatively walking for three or four miles on scrunched up sock.

No doubt I could just buy a pair of virtual reality glasses and walk some digital dog, without leaving the house, or exercise on a treadmill, but where is the fun in that?

6 comments:

  1. Must try the rubber band tip - sounds good. My wellies tend to eat my socks and it's so uncomfortable when you're balancing on one foot trying to get back into indoor shoes with both feet frozen. I found one of those welly grippers in the garage. They're brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Molly, All this probably sounds silly to town dwellers, but wellies are such an important part of life in the country, aren't they! I hope the bands work for you.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of sleepy socks, but I get it. I never have had that problem with socks. How does that happen?

    My daughter experiences mud season in NH but she just uses clogs to walk through the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would that we simply had a mud season, Marcia! We have the occasional short dry spell when the wearing of wellington boots, to walk farm land, is not necessary.

    I don't know how widespread the saying is, but my mother used to say that our socks had 'gone to sleep' when they started to migrate from your ankle and wrinkle down under the arch of your foot making walking uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant ideas!!!!

    And I must show the boot jack to my husband. He has issues at times, with one boot. And I end up, trying to pull it off him. LOL

    He has so many pieces of old wood around his shop, that he could make lots of them.

    Understand how horrible socks feel, if they creep down and toward the toe. Correct size rubber bands, are perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.