Pages

Sunday 14 January 2018

My Knead for Pleasure



Several year ago my body gave up on alcohol.     It took me a while to realise, but eventually I decided that the price I would have to pay for drinking even a single glass of wine was far too high.     Chocolate is nice, but only that...my husband is the chocoholic in our family.     Bread, however, is different.


Yes, it takes time and a little effort and organisation, but the reward is great. 

You can use a bread machine, or knead the dough with a mixer (and I sometimes do) but by far the best way is to get your hands in the bowl and simply enjoy the kneading process - or not, if you decide to go down the low-knead or no-knead route!    I use all these methods (bar the bread machine)  according to mood, or time available.

Nothing beats a good old traditional kneading session.    Some people work out their angst against the world, I don't.   I prefer to just enjoy the process and to think good thoughts.   Whatever works for you.

One tip I would give you is to be patient, don't be tied to rigid timings.  Sometimes the dough will rise more slowly - don't panic!     Give it time and, as long as you haven't forgotten to put the yeast in, it will rise!     

I am not in any way a great bread maker, but I do enjoy the process, it is a kind of magic.


2 comments:

  1. I love baking bread but don't do it very often. The smell is so wonderful I always end up eating too much with slatherings of butter. Must admit I don't like the kneading. I have used a mixer in the past and your post reminded me that I should use it more. I sually don't knead much more than 5 minutes and then leave it overnight to rise properly.
    I saw a programme on tv where the bread was kneaded for ten minutes but kneaded three times and the rise was phenomenal. I might try three times next.
    You have inspired me to make a loaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, Have you tried the low knead method? All it takes is a bit of 'folding' at spaced intervals and seems a bit weird at first, but the results are excellent. Whatever method you decide to use, I hope you are happy with the results and at least your kitchen will smell fabulous. Fresh bread never hangs around long in our house, but if it does, it also makes the best toast!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.