Pages

Sunday 5 August 2018

Halfway There

My favourite city is, unsurprisingly, Lincoln.       I know the old cathedral quarter quite well,  I also have slightly more than a passing acquaintance with the shopping areas. 

Up the hill and down the hill.   



These old houses always charm and delight me, so much so that I have to stop and take photographs.  Strangely, they seem to exert maximum charm when we are huffing and puffing our way up the hill.  I usually stop to photograph them.

The one with the colourful door used to be a very dusty antiquarian bookshop.   One of those places which was rarely open, but a peer through the windows revealed the interior to be filled with heaps and piles of dusty temptation, books everywhere. 



To the right, the cobbled road runs down and out towards a slightly more industrial side of the city.



The other direction gives glimpses of the cathedral.     Huff and puff right up to the top, an excellent workout.



The photograph above is taken looking back down the hill, in the distance you can just see where the halfway houses in the first photograph are located.




This one is looking up to the top of the hill.

The shops are mostly small cafes, handmade chocolate and fudge shops, pubs.     A clever marketing move, by the time people make it this far up they either need oxygen, or refreshment of some kind.









The real reward for climbing up this far is that you have Lincoln castle on one side.











Step through the arch and you are inside the castle.













Walk through this arch and you are right in front of the cathedral.















Cathedral square is lined with charming old buildings, but the main event is the cathedral.




Most of the West Front is covered by scaffolding, part of the ever ongoing restoration and preservation work.   The work should be completed by 2023.

A potted history:

Work on building the cathedral began in 1072, it was consecrated in 1092.   In 1124 it was ravaged by fire, then in 1185 it was partially destroyed by an earthquake.   In 1237 the central tower collapsed, was rebuilt, only to be blown down in 1548!  Right now they are spending the £12.4 million pounds which has been allotted to them by the Heritage lottery fund.




The shops up here are independents, farm shops, fabric shops, shoes, clothing, art galleries, etc.


This is where I turn off and head back to the car park by the castle.



More courtyard cafes and shops selling shoes, bags, expensive clothing.





24 comments:

  1. I have only visited Lincoln once, when my eldest son had his passing out parade in the Airforce. We did manage to visit the Cathedral and I remember it being a bit hilly.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been a very proud day, Briony!

      Delete
  2. I really want to get brave enough to drive here as we only went once, on a weekend so hot that it was difficult looking round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live about an hour from there, so let me know when and you could either come here for a visit, or we could meet in Lincoln.

      Delete
  3. I have never managed to visit Lincoln, a place I've always wanted to visit. Indeed, never been into Lincolnshire at all, it's quite a hike from Devon. People forget that the south west peninsula is quite long and it takes an age even to get to Gloucestershire from here in Torbay, even with the M5. One day, perhaps … your photos are lovely and make me want to visit all the more!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't say that - we have just agreed to holiday with my son and family down in Hope Cove, next summer. It is far too long since we were last there.

      Delete
  4. I think you may have inspired a few people to visit our lovely county town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A delightful walk through Lincoln.

    Seems as if *someone,* will not again be walking, in this city.... Seems as if *someone else* is not really into commitment....

    Oh well.......

    Such is life....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, wow. I hope no hearts were broken.

      Delete
  6. Very pretty city, looks nicer than Oxford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both have their merits - but Lincoln wins for me. Of course I am biased!

      Delete
  7. I can barely imagine living near a city with so much visual stimulation. Not to mention so many lovelies to own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely go inside the shops, Joanne. Can't help seeing all the temptation though. The old buildings always delight, no matter how often I see them. I hope you are feeling comfortable today.x

      Delete
  8. That brought back some lovely memories and also the pain walking up that hill, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hill! Especially the lower part. Your recent post proved very handy yesterday - I had run out of bread (grandchildren and toast+++) when I got some unexpected guests for a meal. Luckily, I had a pan of soup on the simmer - no bread - then inspiration struck...cheese scones. They saved the day!!

      Delete
  9. Ah yes, I remember THAT hill. Daughter Tam and I went to Lincoln on the train when she was still living in Sheffield. A lovely day out - good Museum, and the Cathedral is beautiful. We had a fab pie and a pint type lunch in one of the food shops you took a photo of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have happy memories of the place. I used to drive into Lincoln for the book auctions, get carried away and end up with too much bounty(!) then my vehicle would struggle to get back up the hills and out of the city. Happy times.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely place - I love the architecture and that cathedral is breathtaking! I think I've heard that chocolate will help generate oxygen. Or something similar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We obviously read the same health periodical! It is a truly beautiful old city, I think you would enjoy exploring it.

      Delete
  11. I came here from Susan Here There and Everywhere. I have never been to Lincoln but it looks delightful. Must put it on the bucket list in case I make it back to the U.k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, Welcome! I hope you do make it to Lincoln, it is a truly beautiful and historic city, with lots to feast your eyes on. Meanwhile, you are free to enjoy the place through blogworld, I don't visit there often, but I can never resist taking photographs when I do!

      Delete
  12. What a lovely place. It has always been a dream of mine to go see a place like this. Thank you for sharing the areas around your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pleasure to be able to share it with you. I am glad you enjoyed seeing these few photographs.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.