Pages

Wednesday 29 August 2018

Owl Wood and Conkers





The summer undergrowth is dying back in Owl Wood,  which makes it a lot easier to go along with our wheelbarrows and gather the fallen sticks.   Free kindling, plus it keeps the woodland floor just a little safer.     The last few days have been decidedly chilly, especially in the evenings, inevitably thoughts turn to what is to come, the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, thick socks, cosy throws and the cheerful warmth of a log burner.

I have a sneaky feeling that autumn is my favourite season, but then when we are coming out of winter and into a beautiful Spring I tend to rhapsodise about that, too.    Winter and summer are pretty good too, but only when they do what it says on the packet.

The small wheelbarrow belongs to my grandchildren, picking up the kindling is an easy way for them to earn their pocket money, plus it saves me a chore.

One of the last things I baked in the Rayburn was a wild plum, walnut and windfall apple tart.   Quick and easy, always popular in this house.    I had one big red plum left in the fruit bowl, so I added that, along with a sprinkle of cinnamon.     Served warm with custard it makes a cheap and easy pudding, warming and flavoursome.





The new cooker should get a good workout this weekend when our older son and his family come to stay.      It will give me a great excuse to cook up a storm, make sure that they don't go hungry while they are under my roof.

Work is still ongoing, the kitchen is still all out of kilter.   I escape whenever I can.


I  decided to go out berry hunting along the old railway line, hoping to be able to pick some brambles, aka blackberries, but in my part of Lincolnshire we call them brambles. 

Despite the dry summer, they are very large and juicy compared to the ones I normally find along there.   As I picked them I thought about Farmer T's late wife, Elizabeth, we often used to see one another along there, each armed with an old margarine tub and intent on picking a few berries to add to a pie.

My secateurs were put to good use, few people walk along the track now, brambles, wild roses and nettles are staking their claim and the track is almost impassable in parts.



Short walks take us along country lanes, there is a magnificent horse chestnut tree just along here, the conkers are not quite ready yet.     I have heard tell that there is to be a bit of a conker competition in the village.    The old village school has a horse chestnut tree in the grounds, the people who now own the place have decided that the playground would be a great place to 'host' such an event.     The competitors - men only, apparently - may wear school uniforms.        If it goes ahead it could be quite fun.









The old watermill looked tranquil, too early for any visitors to be roaming the grounds.




Just a little further along and up a small hill the bridle way leads past a farm and the old farm workers cottages.   




This is the main farmhouse, looking resplendent, easy to tell that some love is being put back into the place.      Even more excitingly, and the whole reason I came this way...




A beautiful horse doing some dressage exercises.    This is a whole new venture for the farm.


Somehow I think my feet will be leading me this way more often, there is something quite wonderful about watching these powerful and beautiful horses, the poetry of their movements.   

Who am I kidding?   Any horse will get my attention.   My granddaughter is the same, we spent quite a while watching this horse and rider, I grew tired first and had to coax her away to complete our walk.




24 comments:

  1. Your going to miss you Rayburn that is for sure. Bit early for conkers yet but good to see the farmhouse is being put to good use even if it is horses, smelly things make me sneeze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are right and had I been wealthy enough to employ someone else to do all the work involved with running it safely and cleanly, it would still be in my kitchen! No use me crying over what cannot be, though.

      Delete
  2. You're as bad as me with the horses! Every walk I ever did with my friends as a kid was to see how many horses we could find en route! Your kitchen will feel lost without the heat of the Rayburn to make it welcoming, but you have a wood burner so you will have to huddle round that instead! We have a lot of Ash twigs on the stable rooves so must try and get those down for kindling too (and to tidy them up).

    I really must try and carry on with the autumn tidy up in the garden - it was going well until 1st August when it began to rain and we've scarcely had a dry day since!

    Your baking looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone will miss the opportunity to warm their backs against the Rayburn, it was the spot that everyone gravitated to, when they came in from the cold. The kitchen now has two radiators and the big log burner at the other end, it will be different, warm but different. No doubt the cats and Toby will get the warmest spots.

      From the very first day we introduced the old horse who used to live along the road, our granddaughter has been smitten. Old Arnold blew warm breath over her bare baby toes and tickled them with his whiskers, he was a perfect gentleman with her - although a little rough with everyone else. The die was cast, she was enchanted. Most of her model horses are called Arnold!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like there have been a lot of exciting changes a foot. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family. Why is it we always feel we need to fill them up as though they never eat any other time apart from when they are with us. But we all do it.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Mitzi, I always get carried away! I suppose it is an expression of our love, but they can only eat so much, even if they did used to eat us out of house and home when they were younger!

      Delete
  4. That tart looks scrumptious! You make life in Lincolnshire sound so idyllic I can't wait to move there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you have a big adventure ahead of you. I hope Lincolnshire passes muster!

      Delete
  5. I so enjoyed your walk out, it felt as though I was tagging along with you. Your mill photo is one that makes me so wishful ... & that wish would be to sit long watching the horses - I was once a dressage rider, alas no horse of my own any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case you are welcome to tag along any time at all, we'll get ringside seats. I imagine that to be a dressage rider, you must have a lot of strength and discipline, despite the fact that it all looks so effortless. There are more horses stabled there, I will photograph any I have the chance to and share them on here.

      Delete
  6. It is getting "Autumn Lovely" around your place. Mmmmmmm, yes.... Especially so, since we are in (last day) of 3 days of return of hazy, hot, humid weather. Sighhhhhh...

    "brambles, aka blackberries," Interesting. If you had not said that, I'd think of 'brambles' as growth with thorns and things... Which make tough going, when walking. But they are a delicious berry!

    "brambles, wild roses and nettles are staking their claim and the track is almost impassable in parts..." I love this! Such a pretty picture, and so right, it seems. :-)

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the quirks of Lincolnshire, Luna. Brambles refer to the horrible thorny branches, as well as the berry. Whether we call them brambles, or blackberries, they taste wonderful in crumbles and puddings. Wild and free, protected from car fumes and chemical sprays, that's why I like to pick them along there.

      Grandchild no 3 has just perfected riding his two wheeled bike without stablizers, he is looking forward to showing off to us this weekend. It will be one of those rare weekends when I have all three of my offspring under the same roof, so it should be fun. Not quite sure which way the weather will go.
      I hope your weekend gets a lot cooler for you.

      Delete
  7. Oh and to be able to watch a horse working out. Oh yes. I am afraid of them, since I was never got to know them, when young. But I would love to sit and watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy the quiet beauty of it.

      Delete
  8. What huge blackberries ( never brambles in Suffolk, brambles are what blackberries grown on). There are some in the lane but really small - I probably won't pick any this year. I prefer my apple crumbles without pippy bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What made it even more amazing was that they were free from maggots and wasp damage - unlike the wild plums, which are riddled with extra protein.

      Delete
  9. As beautiful a walk as ever, and a beautiful new horse display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. My trick is to enjoy the good bits and turn a blind eye to the less pleasing ones!

      Delete
  10. It's a beautiful place where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello hart, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing it. When we first moved here, I had no idea that there was such loveliness around and about, until I began walking my dogs and exploring!

      Delete
  11. Oh, such a nice post! I, too, have begun picking up sticks along the trail I walk. I may need to get the grandchildren involved in the project. You do paint a lovely picture of winter days and nights ahead...and the cheerful warmth of a log burner. I am sure you will be cooking up a storm in the new cooker. I am looking forward to reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our nights are really beginning to draw in and there was a definite chill in the air last night, thick socks and woolly jumper time! All my instincts are drawing me to start dabbling with sewing, crafting and books, making preserves, casseroles and soups. We can't change the seasons, so we may as well embrace and enjoy them - as I am sure you do, too. The cooker will be connected to the gas today, talk about cutting it fine!

      Delete
  12. The tart looks delicious and I am enjoying your tales of life in Lincolnshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. It was slightly tart (the way we like it) the walnuts gave it texture and the cinnamon made it slightly Christmassy; it was a nice change after all the lighter tastes of summer.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.