Pages

Saturday 4 August 2018

Muggy Mablethorpe or A Greek Island?






Yesterday afternoon my daughter, grandchildren, and I went to the cinema to see Mamma Mia 2.    The cinema wasn't exactly packed out, there were no more than thirty people, probably far fewer, but I'm not complaining.

It was wonderfully light-hearted fun, visually beautiful, containing emotional highs and lows - and yes, I shed  a few tears at one point, but there was also plenty of laughter, plus the sheer joyousness of the Abba songs.     

Air conditioned entertainment on a stiflingly hot afternoon.     I know that people have picked lots of holes in the plot and timeline, but ignore all of that, just enjoy it.      I found it was great value for my OAP discount ticket.

We emerged from the cinema at around 5pm.  It was like stepping out into a tepid bath, heavy air trapped by low cloud. 

     

Instead of going straight home we decided to climb the steps over the sea wall, walk through the sand dunes and head down to the beach.





I have to be honest, muggy Mablethorpe couldn't match the beauty of the sparkling seas around the Greek islands in the film, but it was refreshing and a nice way to let the grandchildren let off some steam before taking them home.





The clouds were low but the breeze was cooling and refreshing.








The beach 'train' came chugging along, I wasn't quick enough with my phone to take a good photograph.










The sea was distant and muddy, but the children loved it and it allowed my daughter and I time to discuss the film, sing our favourite songs and have a dance and a laugh.











Yesterday I foolishly mentioned that the owl box is now empty.     Silly me.    I should have know that Jackdaws are intelligent and keep up to date with the news;  this morning as I walked Toby through the woods and past the box, two bright-eyed Jackdaws stuck their heads out of the box and watched us.     Normally they fly off, quietly and quickly, today they lingered, looking me in the eye.  New tenants?   The old ones, back off their holiday? 

I hope you have a lovely weekend, wherever you are.







14 comments:

  1. My Grandchildren were great fans of the Mablethorpe train, your post brought back loads of lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a bit different from the beautiful beaches of Lewis, alas!

      Delete
  2. Muggy weather must have changed for rain later? Mostly packed for vacation. Awaiting New Hampshire brood for their overnight here before we all head west to mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds wonderfully exciting, Marcia. I hope you have a wonderful time with the family.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had such a lovely time with the family. I hope the weather improves for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun broke through the cloud cover today - oh, the lift in spirits when that happens! Have a great weekend with your birthday boy.

      Delete
  4. I have been considering doing just that, going to the cinema! That movie is here, and the "Christopher Robin" one also. Leave the house, for awhile, and give the a/c a rest. :-)

    You are so lucky, to have the beach, so near by! Delightful! For adults and children. Especially for letting them burn off some pent up steam. :-) Bet the weather doesn't bother them, as much, as it bothers adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do go, and thoroughly enjoy your film, Luna. I am not a great cinema-goer, but I must admit that I enjoyed the change. We have a couple of beaches nearby, we don't normally go there in the summer because of all the holiday makers, but it was fine yesterday. Most people had gone home, or back to their tents/caravans/holiday homes for tea.

      Delete
  5. Never been a big Abba fan even though I don't mind listening to them, much prefer the more modern music kids listen to now but I still have my favourite old bands as well. Think I'd be sticking with muggy mablethope it looks less crowded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will confess that Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, The Moody Blues and Rainbow - are more my style, but Abba was good, especially all these years later! Mablethorpe it is then!

      Delete
  6. It's interesting seeing the difference between the interests of my very young grandchildren and their adult state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, You have been through the mill, so sorry to read about your accident. I send you my love and best wishes for as speedy and pain-free a recovery as possible.xx

      Delete
  7. Muggy Mablethorpe has definitely got the edge on the 47 degrees they're having over there. Love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty dull there, but children love a bit of beach! The sands are long and wide and the sand dunes make it quite exciting. No, I couldn't do the 47 degree temps these days either. Mablethorpe it is!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.