Pages

Saturday 18 August 2018

Using Wooden Spoons to Help my Memory



My father had a particular way of jogging his memory and reminding himself that something needed to be switched on/off, collected, a letter which needed to be written, or of an appointment to be kept that day.    He would put a book on the floor, right next to the desk in his study.

Once he had retired, he spent most of his days at that desk, unless he was travelling to visit friends in Virginia, out doing research, or holding meetings.    He was a meticulous list-maker, cereal boxes, tissue box lids, etc were cut into suitably-sized pieces and kept in a drawer, ready for the next list.

The book on the floor was there to remind him of the more immediate and pressing jobs for the day.    We teased him mercilessly, but it worked for him.   

Many years have passed now since the day he went to visit the surgery and never came home.   He had seen the doctor, was walking back to his car and had a heart attack as he was climbing back into his car.     

I was at home, cooking his lunch.      Time passed, he didn't return.  I kept his meal warm.  Still no word.      An hour and a half later, the hospital rang to say that despite their best efforts...

All these years later I find myself adopting a similar method to jog my memory - I use this very large old enamel jug which is filled with my wooden spoons.    I don't put them on the floor where the cats and Toby would feel duty bound to go and have a good sniff or a lick, I put them out on my large wooden chopping board.   

They shouldn't be there, they irritate my eye. 

It works.

There is such a lot going on around here at the moment, indoor work, outdoor work, regular day-to-day work.    My head feels like...



... this old hay net.      The wooden spoons help keep me on track and keep me sane, or what passes for it, anyway.


Do you have a particular method for jogging your memory?








30 comments:

  1. I tie something, a carrier bag, tea towel or strip of fabric on to the door handle so I see it as I'm about to leave the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Great idea if yours. I just write notes to myself and then forget to look at them

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super idea! Well, both ideas are so. :-)

    I use lists. Little stick-it-colored-notes on front of refrigerator.

    I don't like anything, on the front of my refrigerator. So they catch my eye. And I want to do stuff, mark it off, and throw away the note.

    _Not_ that this, always works of course. This morning, I still have one, on there. -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a list maker. When I go shopping besides the grocery list, I have a post it note with all the stops I need to make and for what purpose. Never heard of your method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love the Cozi app. We can track in real time grocery lists, I have a list of my preferred make-up brands and colors, reminds us individually or together of appointments, birthdays, anniversaries. I even have lists of foods at certain restaurants that I either really like, OR that make me very sick. And if I need to do something in particular, I just send myself a regular email with the reminder as the subject title. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make lists, of late I must admit to writing a shopping list and then leaving it on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. leaving slippers on the landing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent - just mind you don't trip!

      ps Welcome!

      Delete
  8. I write lists but I love your wooden spoon idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do lists, too. I use the spoons to remind me to switch things on/off, collect something/someone, etc.

      Delete
  9. I make lists, and put reminders on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, you are another A+ organiser. If only I could persuade myself that a phone is not only useful as a camera!!

      Delete
  10. Sounds familiar - I have lists all the time - a shopping list and a "to do" list. I also have a habit of leaving something "in the way" to remind me of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making lists, Susan. Very therapeutic, even though I forget to consult them!

      Delete
  11. I am a list maker too, but sometimes forget to look at the list. Now, I am thinking of what I could put out that doesn't belong. :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. I do exactly that, too, Chip!

      Delete
  12. I write on my hand. I also cut up scrap paper for lists and notes stored in the corner of my desk pad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried writing on my hand once - it wasn't successful, my skin cream thwarted me! Timing, Elaine, timing!

      Delete
  13. I have to write something down..otherwise I'd see the book or spoons but not remember what I was supposed to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love writing lists, lynda, I find it very calming - it gives me the illusion that I am organised. The spoons are so successful that even my husband uses them - which, of course, causes great confusion!!

      Delete
  14. I simply write a note to myself, write large, and prop it against my computer as I go to that first thing each morning to check emails, etc. Simples!!!
    Margaret P
    PS Of course, I make lists. Doesn't everyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly do, Margaret. I love making lists. The very process helps me to fix things in my mind, luckily, because I so often go whizzing out without my list!

      Delete
  15. My problem is I get ditracted easy so forget what I was ment to be doing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could put a positive spin on that and say you are open-minded and willing to try different things, or, you could try wearing a set of blinkers.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.