Pages

Wednesday 8 August 2018

Parsonage Soup with Wild Plums and Miss Read's Wartime Memories.



There always come a time when the vegetable and fruit gardens produce far more food than we can eat or realistically process and store ready for the cold, dark months of winter.      We have reached that point, so veggie boxes are being pressed into the hands of anyone foolish enough to put their foot over the boundary line.

I am not complaining, but it is hard work keeping up with the produce, making sure that nothing gets wasted and that people get to enjoy things at the peak of freshness and before the pests get to them.    Pesky wasps have been tucking into quite a few of the apples, but at least they haven't turned their attention to the figs yet - possibly because they need a day or two longer to ripen. 

Despite eagerly anticipating the first baby courgettes of the season, I have now tired of finding naughty ones sneakily hiding until they are the size of a Zeppelin.     More soup.   Great for the winter and autumn, but how many more vats must I make before the plants stop producing?




The eagle-eyed among you may well have spotted the first of the wild plums.   A few weeks ago they were not looking promising but this recent hot spell has really brought them on.

I always cook them, then sieve the pulp, turn them into wild plum coulis.    I use this to top my lunchtime bowl of natural Greek yogurt.    Food of the gods.   Another seasonal treat to be enjoyed to the max.



Much of today has been spent working on the final draft of the booklet which tells of Miss Read's wartime memories in and around the village.      I have managed to alter the format, include photographs, justify the margins and tidy the page endings.     Fingers crossed that the printer is happy with what I have done.        At the moment I am feeling euphoric, job done, but I may be a tad nervous when I get an email from him!

My original plans for the day included lots of reading - a couple of old recipe books, one newer one and an Inspector Lynley novel from the charity shop (3 books for £1).     


The little book on the top of the pile is an old 1950's one about Christmas food.     It makes for really interesting reading because, of course, some foodstuffs were still in short supply.








Dated ideas, but this type of book always contains a few nuggets of information, or a recipe which could be fun to update.



This one got my attention because of the title and the cover, whether or not it holds anything useful remains to be seen.















All of these got swept to one side though.   

My daughter bought a new book yesterday and read it in one sitting.    When she was young we didn't believe that she could possibly read and absorb the full implications of a story when she was whizzing through books so quickly... she can, and she does.   She is just blessed with an ability to read and absorb far more quickly than most people.    Even better, she has incredible recall, even years later.




She thought I would enjoy it.

So far I have read the first couple of lines - and yes, it looks as though it is beautifully written, which is always a good starting point.       It is a Gothic ghost story, not what I would normally read, but I am happy to give it a go.     

Inspector Lynley will have to wait a while longer. 


19 comments:

  1. I love the Inspector Lynley series. You will have to let us know how you find this latest book, as I know I am not the only one needing inspiration. I do envy your wild plums and would be a willing recipient of any and all courgettes - zeppelin-sized or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just give me your coordinates and I'll get them to fly straight over. They are all yours, Susan! I'll let you know about the Inspector Lynley book.

      Delete
  2. I've seen a few Inspector Lynley on TV recently - on Drama channl, (I keep having the TV on for company - which is daft but better than quiet) I'd never watched any before but tried the books years ago and didn't get on with them - I may have another try.
    That Dandelion and Quince book looks curious, I'll check out the library

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I don't think you are in danger of turning into a square-eyes, so do whatever works and don't worry about it! The Dandelion and Quince book was a gift; it is very different to my more usual battered and worn old cook books, a very beautiful production. A good springboard for ideas, but terribly expensive for what is inside.

      Delete
  3. I like your idea for plum coulis. I always eat plain, natural yoghurt so I must try that as an accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seasonal treat usually lasts for about three weeks, greatly anticipated and enjoyed to the max. I am a fan of seasonal food - foraged, if possible.

      Delete
  4. Ohhhh bother. I wrote, clicked on Preview, and my comment went poooofffff. Don't know why this happens, now and then. Oh well... To try to repeat...

    Ohhhhh, a Gothic ghost story! Delicious. Must look for this! Thank your daughter. And would she have any other suggestions...?

    How wonderful, that she can read-in-a-whizzzz... and still understand. How lucky!

    ok, not going to Preview this time. Please accept typos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book does look good, my daughter is pretty good at recommending books, films which she thinks I may enjoy. Funny thing is that she is rarely wrong, I guess she knows me quite well after all these years! She reads widely (as well as very speedily) luckily she is not averse to rereading the classics etc - as long as she has something to read.

      Delete
  5. Your produce photos, are like jewels!

    Lovely that you make sure to share, your bounty.

    Hooray for having the Miss Read booklet finished. That printer had better be happy with your work. I'm sure you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my best, Luna, so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. Another great post which resonated in many parts. We are in full fig season. I found pureed plums from last year in the freezer. I hope we don't get given any more. I still have jam and chutney.
    Thumbs up naturally for greek yoghurt. I eat a little every day with a spoonful of my strawberry jam .
    Always enjoy seeing your book selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so busy here that I have only read about a dozen pages since I wrote the post. August was always going to be a chaotic month (Rayburn going and lots of plumbing work) but I forgot to factor in the food preservation... I need a holiday! Good luck with the figs.

      Delete
  7. Are those Damsons? Mine have a way to go yet but have coloured up nicely.

    I am trying to eat my courgettes small . . .

    Miss Read will be delighted when her booklet is published. You will have to let us know when it's available and price.

    Some good reading there and interesting cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked several pounds of the plums (damsons) yesterday - they grow wild in a little grove at the far end of Owl Wood and have a wonderful flavour. My aim is always to eat the courgettes small and yet, despite my careful checking, there are always a few which manage to elude me.
      The booklet is prooving to be something of a trial. The information I was given differs wildly from the information which the publisher gave out... Trying to work things out is totally zapping any spare time and energy that I have. I'm sure we will get there in the end - but I may need therapy!!

      Delete
  8. Still waiting for my tomatoes to ripen and our plums, the apples are small due to lack of water. Not into gardening as much as you but hope to get a small greenhouse later this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our tomatoes are grown in the poly tunnel, so they tend to ripen a bit earlier, Bill. The plums grow wild in a little grove in Owl Wood, they are just left to their own devices, but I reckon there must be a source of underground water nearby because they are very plump this year - our orchard apples are definitely suffering though!

      Delete
  9. The garden produce was a feast for the eyes, love the idea of plum coulis. Those vintage cook books looked interesting, always a joy to discover a few little gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite kind of cook books - they often make good reading, if only to make my jaw drop at the kind of things which people ate! The plums are definitely making lunchtime yogurt much more exciting and very colourful.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.