Pages

Saturday 20 January 2024

Blame it on the Vicar!

 I have been lost in my books for several days now.  Tasks which should have been completed remain undone, the cake tins are empty, and I still haven't made that butternut squash into curry.

A fellow blogger, Trundling Through Life, wrote a wonderful piece about some good hearty Lincolnshire fare and I disappeared down the rabbit hole of reading through all my old Lincolnshire recipe books, as well as a large number of old regional recipe books.


I cannot tell a lie, it was fun.


Naturally, answering one question then led me on to explore a dozen other things of interest.  

This morning I found myself reading an item in the October 1927 Edinburgh Review, it was written by my favourite old cook, Florence White, using her pen name: Evelyn Mary.

She wrote "Seventy years ago English cookery was good, but has suffered a decline in the last thirty years."  In part, she blamed the direction taken by the higher education of women, the devaluation of house-keeping and domestic science.

She explored even further back through old tomes and manuscripts and found that a similar theme ran through many of them.  

Dr Kitchiner, who wrote 'The Cook's Oracle' was absolutely convinced that disease most frequently arises from badly prepared food or poor nourishment.  He was a qualified doctor, a man who possessed a private fortune and did not actually practise medicine.  He concluded that people did not pay as much attention to the preservation of their own health as they did to that of their dogs and horses.

It was something of a relief to find that the general consensus was that even the French girls were not so skilled in the art of cooking as were her mother and grandmother.  

I readily admit that my mother and grandmother were far better cooks than I have ever aspired to be.

My interest in recipe books has little/nothing to do with cooking.  Shame on me.   Having said that, almost every meal I cook is from scratch.

If I could just cook with the same love that I have in my heart when I knead and bake bread, I reckon I could be a decent plain cook.  Alas! I don't and I am not.  

To quote one of the old books 'You must bring a loving heart to the primus or camp-fire.  No soured personality can be trusted to stir the beans, far less make the coffee.  Coffee should be made with love; that is the first ingredient and the chief cause of coffee being indifferent is your indifference to coffee.'

I have strayed from the point which was that just as we read that too few people actually bother to cook these days, the same thing has been said for generations.  Nothing much changes.

8 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your old recipe books.

    So that's why my coffee is 100% better with my fancy machine than it was from a sachet - must be the love!
    Even my Mum would have agreed that I was a much better cook and certainly more adventurous than she was. Meat and two veg plus shepherds pie or bacon and egg pie was all we ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon there would probably be a great recipe book within you, something along the lines of tasty, nourishing and frugal, perfect for this day and age. Good to know that your machine feels the love and makes excellent coffee for you!

      Old recipe books are a treasure trove of old knowledge.

      Delete
  2. I've got very broad shoulders! Do you have "Recipes from Wrawby" which was published by Wrawby WI sometime around WWII? That's a good rabbit hole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist the teasing title, once it popped into my head the post almost wrote itself - it is true though, those savoury ducks have bobbed around my head since your post. So much so that I could almost be persuaded to revert to meat eating again.
      The Wrawby book is sitting on my desk right now, it is an excellent book from start to finish and I often have a browse. I have 2 editions, one pre-WW11 and the other is 3 years after the end of the war where extravagant recipes have been removed and more economical ones put in their place, the gardening section was also removed, perhaps a recipe for killing slugs was deemed to be unsuitable!

      Delete
  3. My husband often says my cooking isn't tasty because I cook out of necessity and not with love. What a load of rubbish. Every dish is cooked with the 'eater' in mind. I always cook the best I can. Cooking food that will not be eaten is a foolish endeavour. In his case it's getting older and fussier that's to blame lol
    I too cook from scratch, mainly because convenience food is not available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really relate to this, Linda, my chief critic forgets that his sense of smell and his tastebuds do not function well these days, which is a shame for him, but somehow it is my food which he blames. Just as well we love them!

      Delete
  4. A book by Eliza Acton keeps giving me the eye on my cookery book shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eliza Acton - yes! So much information and advice and yet I often forget to refer to her - probably because I have a modern copy and my eye is always drawn to much older books. I should remedy that! Lovely to hear from you.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.