Pages

Sunday 14 January 2024

"Good Morning, Me Duck"

I turned out of the shop and headed under the carriage arch between the greengrocers and The Packhorse Inn.  Because I was encumbered by two bulky bags of fruit and vegetables - mostly Lincolnshire veg and British apples, along with a number of Seville oranges, I decided not to go into the library. 

Instead, I decided to go back to the car, so I crossed the road into Eve Street, which has a very narrow pavement.    

An older man was coming along in the opposite direction, we exchanged smiles and he stepped off the pavement, lifted his hat, and said "Good Morning, Me Duck".   I responded and thanked him.




How those simple words warmed my heart.  Nothing false, nothing forced, just simple old fashioned manners and a great Lincolnshire greeting.  

Louth is a small town and it used to be fairly normal for people to exchange a smile or a greeting but I have noticed a definite decline in recent years, which is a shame.  

After dropping my bags in the boot of the car I headed back to the library and had that browse.  I didn't really need any library books but there was a book sale on...so I couldn't resist a quick look.  I found one book which interested me 'The Way Home' by Mark Boyle.  He is an Irish writer who decided to build a log cabin and spend a year living off grid.

I am too old for that kind of adventure and commitment but I will enjoy reading about it.  Fifty pence sealed the deal.

Weekend greetings to you all. 

12 comments:

  1. A warm greeting like that can really brighten a day and costs nothing 😀
    You mention sevilles - for marmalade? Tomorrow I think I must track some down, such a short season.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alison, Marmalade (I love that word) made just the way I like it - not too sweet and with chunky strips of peel. The sight of a pan of marmalade cooking and that wonderful smell definitely brightened up a cold January day. I hope you manage to find some Sevilles.

      Delete
  2. Mark Boyle also wrote a book about living without any money for a year. Two interesting experiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere, at the back of my mind, I think I have seen a short film about him on the television. I must check the library listings, see whether they have retained any copies of the other book and get it ordered. Thanks, Sue.

      Delete
  3. "are ye daein fine, Hen?" It warms the heart to see local language and dialects thriving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another lovely one. I used to enjoy visits to my in-laws to hear the lovely Geordie dialect.

      Delete
  4. That's what's nice about walking here. Everyone will have a smile and a 'kalimera'. I do like the idea of 'duck or hen'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little things like that really do make a difference, so many people walk around peering at their telephones that they miss out on these small interactions, which is a shame.

      Delete
  5. That's what's nice about living here. Everyone greets everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, That does sound friendly. A greeting here, a smile, or a wave there, are little things which cost nothing and can cheer a lonely soul.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like 50p well spent (any shorter version of this has just been posted by Pippi walking over the keyboard!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BB, Pippi, she who almost lost another life up that tree, so glad that she got down safely. (I tried to comment on your blog the other day, but Blogger was not having anything to do with me.) Sparky and Millie have been leading me a merry dance while I have been trying to answer comments - demands for food, to be let out followed almost immediately by yowls that it is too cold out here, let me in!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.