Pages

Wednesday 17 January 2024

You Will Know it by the Sparkle

'You will know it by the sparkle'.  



This was the state of my desk this morning.  I had gathered together a couple of dozen of my older recipe books so that I could have a quick flick through to see how much recipes for orange marmalade varied.  

Some of the books were published in times of plenty, others during wartime rationing, along with three of early Victorian handwritten ones.

Few ingredients are required to make Seville Orange Marmalade, so I didn't expect there to be too many differences but I was interested to see how housewives coped during the difficult times.


The strangest recipe called  for tapioca.  Had I not already made my marmalade, I could have been tempted to make a tiny batch of it to satisfy my curiosity.  Fortunately, I had no tapioca in the pantry and I had used all the Seville oranges anyway.

Most of the differences were in whether to cook the oranges whole, then cut them up or cut them up and soak the peel overnight, although one method called for two days of soaking with a boiling session in between.

Opinions differed on whether to use half a pound of sugar to a pound of pulp and juice or greater quantities, all the way up to one and a half pounds per pound.  Boil for an hour/two hours/three hours.

Worried about when to take it from the heat?  You will know it by the sparkle, according to one old cook.

Of course I had no need to go through these books, my marmalade was already sitting on the pantry shelf, but it was fun.  There is no one 'right' way to make it, make it according to your taste/what is available.

I saw a recipe for cucumber marmalade, made with ginger and whisky.  I won't be making that - but that darned curiosity which I have been lumbered with is still wondering.

For my marmalade I used a Nigel Slater recipe which replaced about a third of the water with pomegranate juice, just because I could and because I was curious, though I did reduce the amount of sugar he recommended.

It is a rich, slightly bitter marmalade, perfect for our tastes. 


9 comments:

  1. I love comparing recipes to see the different things people come up with. You have inspired me to make marmalade. I just went out into the backyard jungle in my slippers to pick a few bitter oranges. Alas they are still little green bullets. But I did find a few mandarins and other oranges. Probably enough for 2 jars. I'll just cut mine up and add some whisky at the end.
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home grown oranges of any description will make your brew very special, especially with a glug of whisky at the end! You embody the very essence of why I find these books of recipes so interesting - creativity and resourcefulness.

      Delete
  2. You had me worried with that title - I thought you were going to suggest sparkly desks and that will never happen in this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would that I did have a sparkly desk, I have far too many hobbies and interests for that to happen...plus, you may have noticed the big empty space, well that was because Sparky had only just vacated it. She hates me to work alone.

      Delete
    2. Ah, just a sparkly Sparky! Sounds good to me!

      Delete
  3. The pomegranate juice sounds an interesting addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It adds a little depth to both colour and flavour though I suppose I could probably had a similar result if I had used dark brown sugar or a little black treacle...hmmn, perhaps something to try out next year.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing some really neat information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, Joanne, any excuse to browse old books. Far more interesting than actually cooking or baking!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.