Pages

Sunday 18 February 2024

An Abundance of Wild Garlic

 I took a good walk around Owl Wood today, mainly to check to see whether I could find any Jackdaws.  I am happy to say there is no sign of them - so far.

The snowdrops are out in glorious abundance, the primroses and daffodils are almost good to go and everywhere is coming back to life.  

There were two wonderful surprises.

Wild Garlic

Masses of wonderful wild garlic.  Each year it spreads a little further.


Primroses and Wild Garlic in Pet Cemetery - Toby I and Toby II

So do the violets.  At first I couldn't see any, then I found one shyly peeping out from near the trunk of a tree.   Once I had found one I seemed to get my eye in, and found lots of them.

It is time to pull out the hedgerow recipe books to make a start on using some of those lovely garlicky leaves.  Wild garlic bread, scones, pesto, perhaps I could infuse some oil and, of course, it can be added to the soups I make.  That should keep me happily occupied for a while.


10 comments:

  1. Hummm....may try making garlic mushrooms with wild garlic. Made some yesterday and used garlic salt instead of garlic granules...not so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and granddaughter love them, as long as they are sauteed in plenty of butter, lots of black pepper and have a sprinkle of sea salt. I really like the smell, but I don't like the texture. I indulge them of course.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen wild garlic around here. The only place I ever saw it, and very prolific it was too, was in Northumberland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Northumberland. You spent quite some time up there, I believe, Rachel? George is a Felling lad (just outside Gateshead) or he was, he left as soon as he was old enough to sign up for the Royal Marines.

      Delete
  3. It's good Jackdaw patrol is so far successful. How will you discourage them from the owl box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, At the moment the Jackdaws are somewhere other than Owl Wood. I know they will probably return. All I can do is keep watch and, if I see any sticks poking out of the box, I could open the lower hatch to check who is in there. The owl men have no problem with turfing them out, not sure that I could be quite so tough on them...I rather think they already know that!

      Delete
  4. Wow - really early for wild Garlic. We're only just getting more Celendines and Primroses out in these parts (but are a bit higher so colder than some areas I guess). Hope the Jackdaws go on holiday somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was exceptionally early, then I looked back through my blog posts and found that it has shown itself this early on at least two occasions previously. Thank goodness for blogs/diaries! So far so good with the Jackdaws. I have noticed that our single Magpie has been joined by a friend...we could all do with a bit of joy!

      Delete
  5. Not sure if I have come across Wild Garlic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would know if you had, the smell is quite a giveaway, Billy. White flowers will follow in a few weeks, they are very simple and quite beautiful.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.