Pages

Friday 2 February 2024

Visual Influence

 A quick nonsense post, for I am deeply into reading a couple of books about life during WW1.   These books have resided on my bookshelves unappreciated for far too long.  

Speed is of the essence because Hazel, our lovely library lady, will be here on Monday with 13 books from my very long list of reservations.

There are murder mysteries and detective stories (thank you Sue, for I often get the titles from you), plus a serious book about Chinese Food and traditions, which will no doubt be both fascinating and repellent (from a vegetarian point of view), another is about the understated, unfashionable and undervalued Lincolnshire that I love so much, along with one by Francis Pryor (former Time Team archaeologist) on creating a fenland garden - in Lincolnshire, of course, then a much more serious one by Douglas Murray, The War on the West.

I have four weeks to work through them.  What a challenge!  This would be an impossible task if I were told I HAD to read them but because it is my choice it won't be a problem.  

I have wandered away from my title.  Visual Influence.  

While I was flitting around doing just enough housework to appease my conscience so that I won't feel guilty when I spend the rest of the day doing more or less what I want - apart from cooking meals for the grandchildren and my husband, I wafted my duster over a long, skinny wooden cat, one of the last gifts my father gave me, and a short and very rotund pottery one given to me by Bro Minor, my younger brother.

I placed them side by side on my desk.


If only I could get the two cats to pose in the same place, for the similarities are remarkable.  Sparky is long, lanky and definitely superior.  Millie is short and has a figure which could almost rival that of the fat pottery cat - Colonel Blimp is his name.

Poor Millie.  She eats considerably less than Sparky, still runs around and climbs trees occasionally, and yet she is most definitely pear-shaped...and no, she does not have a second home which feeds her!

Perhaps I should put Colonel Blimp in one of the rooms the cats can't access, see whether that powerful tool which advertisers are so fond of, Visual Influence, can work a little magic on her.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you can persuade your cats to pose!

    So far I have 10 books to pick up from the mobile next week and some others on the way that might arrive or not. I think they are a mixed bunch coming which is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Sue!
      There is something really exciting about having a big parcel of books delivered, isn't there. We do our best to keep the library service in business!

      Delete
  2. The pottery cats are delightful.
    Good reading! I've just picked up a pile from a book sale
    Mainly detective but I can take my time with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still make me smile, Linda.
      Good to hear that you have a nice pile of books to dip into, better than a box of chocolates and certainly healthier for us! I haven't been to a decent book sale for ages, you lucky thing.

      Delete
  3. Your cats have such different attitudes. Sparky has an enigmatic smile and his broken ear attests to some rough and tumble. Millie looks too timid to even venture out of doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost spot on, Joanne! Sparky has needed to be patched up on more than one occasion, always getting into scrapes. Millie wanders around in her own little world, she packs a nasty nip though - unexpected and painful!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.