Pages

Tuesday 20 February 2024

Aspiration v Reality



Given my fairly large collection of old cookery books it would not be unreasonable to think that I was a good cook or, at the very least, had an interest in food.    My mother was a really good cook.  Big hearty meals, very much in the style of the picture above (Darling Buds of May).

Unfortunately for my family my interest is based more in the history contained within my old books.

Of course I tried to feed them well and have always cooked nourishing food for them.  Indeed, I still cook for two of my grandchildren each day.

In my head I have produced food as above but I fear that the reality was rather more:


and these days, now that it is often just the two of us:





10 comments:

  1. I wonder how many of the meals in the darling Buds were real? as they really were huge. I'm sure I read once that she was vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ma Larkin cookery book is packed with delicious-looking food, Ma wears a different outfit in every photograph and there are lots of them! She played the part brilliantly.

      Delete
  2. So relatable. I read cookery books like a novel. I can't be bothered cooking now but of course do. Sometimes apparently I'm the lady in pic number one but mostly no 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda, Don't shatter my illusions! You are a champion cook and produce huge meals for an enormous family, always with a smile on your face! I'm sure you have already come across her but Elizabeth David's recipe books are some of the finest - Jane Grigson wrote some interesting tales and recipes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always read cookbooks as novels or history. I've never enjoyed cooking, and generally foisted it off on others. When I found a really interesting old cookbook, though, I'd jump on trying out unusual recepies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when they have notes in the margin, little slips of paper with recipes, and show lots of wear - books which have lived a useful life. Then they have become so much more than just a recipe book.

      Delete
  5. Apparently I am classed as a feeder, and the children regularly mention The Darling Buds of May's Ma Larkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound pretty darn perfect to me! When can I book in for a stay - full board?

      Delete
  6. I think my cooking improved dover the years and now I can cook a mean roast and make some nice cakes. It has even made me consider entering a Victoria sponge in the show this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! As you know, these shows can be very competitive but they are great fun.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.