Pages

Monday 12 February 2024

Lincolnshire Lanes

 The sun was shining brightly this morning, that was all the excuse I needed to pull on my walking boots and get outside to enjoy it.  Persistent rain has made for muddy tracks.  I stuck to the lanes.  Not quite as much fun as walking through the fields but still beautiful.


As you can see from the watermill, the water level is high.  Duck island has been swamped again and the water is muddy because the increased flow is churning it up.

From here I followed the road up past the manor house and on past the engine shed of the old railway station.


The snowdrops are wonderful right now.


This track cuts through a farmyard and is very muddy but the old buildings never fail to charm me.  I stopped here for a chat with the man who monitors the health of the chalk stream which originates here.   He checks for pollution, the number of invertebrates in the water and generally keeps the river clear.

Sir Henry Vane lived here for a while.  All that remains of his residence is the Great Hall which is behind the building with the red roof which is half submerged by ivy.  It is used as a storage barn these days but you can see some of the history of the place on the outside walls.  I'll try to photograph it another time. 

To give a potted history, he was born in 1613 and converted to Puritanism in 1627.  He sailed to Boston in 1635, was elected to the position of Governor of Massachussets Bay Colony in 1636 and returned to England in 1637.  

Much happened, including three English Civil Wars!  Charles II was proclaimed king in 1660 and Henry was beheaded at Tower Hill in London, the charge was treason.

Who would have thought this quiet little backwater could tell so many tales.


Back home for a chunk of homemade crusty bread and a bowl of homemade vegetable soup.  Perfect!



12 comments:

  1. Poor Henry. Did he commit treason in Boston or back in England?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, Back in England he became quite an active politician during the Commonwealth period. He had opposed the execution of King Charles I but was also part of the revolution, he made enemies and was considered dangerous so the charge was brought and the deed was done.

      Delete
  2. Goodness...poor Henry...it is rather sad that so many once great homes are reduced to mere rubble and ruin, however I suppose time marches on and I don't think I'd want to be living in a round house, the remains of which are still found on our moors. Happy to say that our cottage is coming up for 200 years old, but I can't think that many of the build quick new houses will still be around in such a timeframe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry Vane managed to pack a lot into his 49 years on this earth. One of these days I will do a proper post on him.

      Delete
  3. The Thames go to it's highest for years a couple of weeks back so I hope you managed to stay dry, even around here the ground is still boggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain has been falling for much of today, Billy. The fields are getting soggier. No doubt we'll have droughts this summer.

      Delete
  4. You have lots of history around you. I love hearing the stories, as I do of my own area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scratch the surface of most places and there are interesting tales. It's just having the time to find out about them, always so much to do.

      Delete
  5. Is the water mill still open, or at least its cafe? just wondering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The watermill is closed at the moment, they have been having some work done. Not sure when they will reopen but I'll let you know when I hear.

      Delete
  6. What an enjoyable walk. Knowing local history gives another layer to the landscape. Someone whose blog I read now and again is deliberately and totally oblivious to the past and called Tintagel "a big rock". How ignorant can anyone be? Her loss. The watermill looks lovely and the swirling waters remind me of living near the River Cothi and how quickly it could turn from an idle flow to a terrifying flood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BB, Even just a little local history makes walks so much more interesting. I recently missed out on a talk about lost churches in this area, didn't find out about it until a week after it had happened - darn it. I would have really enjoyed that one. I always stop at the watermill, firstly because it is so lovely and secondly because Elsa and Olaf, two small goats live there and they like a bit of a chat!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.