Pages

Sunday 4 February 2024

Life and Death in Owl Wood

Owl Wood is carpeted with a mixture of crunchy old leaves and many thousand of snowdrops glow in the slight dimness of the woodland.  Surely one of the loveliest signs of that which is to come, Spring.

I didn't have my camera with me so I have taken an old photograph from one of my other blogs.  There are a great many more snowdrops in the woodland now.



No chance of taking a quiet walk, it is crunch, crunch, crunch all the way.  The soil in the woodland is wonderfully humus rich

I cast my eye over the old owl box, it needs a little repair work if we are to have even a hope of attracting new tenants.  The base is starting to come away from the body.  Another job to add to the list.


Almost two decades ago we were delighted when a deer gave birth in the woodland.  A couple of months ago I was a little less thrilled when I found a freshly dead one near the fence line.  We debated what to do with it, decided to leave it to nature's own to deal with and in less than a week it was nothing more than a skeleton.  The circle of life.  

While I was scouting around for old snowdrop photographs I came upon a snapshot of Sparky in her younger and more active days.


How she loved to climb.  I reckon her mother must have drummed the message 'When danger threatens, climb a tree' into her.  Not that she was ever in any danger in Owl Wood, this was just for fun and because she could.

10 comments:

  1. Owl Wood is precious; so many old family memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been there with me for so many of them, Joanne.

      Delete
  2. I second Joanne's comment. The snowdrops are lovely. I now have a small pot of them. Last year we gave some lachenalias to a lady in the next street and she asked if I would like some snowdrops and bluebells. I thought we were too far north (too hot) for snowdrops but I was thrilled to have half a dozen flowers last year and hoping for more this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your snowdrops multiply magnificently, Susan! The Spring brings such beauty, we still have the primroses, daffodils, bluebells and the wild garlic to look forward to, as well as those small yellow flowers - name eludes me at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Owl Wood is lovely in it's cover of flowers. Jonquils are appearing here now, big clumps in the fields.
    You must fix the Owl house. They need a residence in their wood lol
    Isn't mother nature wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owl house will be emptied and repaired in the next couple of days, made spick and span ready to entice the next lucky tenant - and please let it be owls this year!
      I count myself fortunate to be able to glimpse some of the beauty of your island home, Linda. The colours always lift my spirits.

      Delete
  4. I so glad your blogging I really enjoy your posts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Snowdrops are beautiful. There used to be masses in a little bit of woodland on a hillside up "our" valley back in Carms. I think they had started as a couple of plants put in by folk living in a cottage a little way out on the hillside. That would have been nearly 200 years ago now. All that is left of the cottage is half a brick and a few census entries, but the Snowdrops have thrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny, A few census entries and some snowdrops on a hillside - quite a beautiful way to leave their mark. This time of year can be very dank and dreary, thank goodness we have the beauty of the Spring flowers to cheer us up on the dark days, they always seem to lift the spirits. The birdsong has changed in the last week or two, the ones around here sound much cheerier. I shall try to take my cue from them.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.