Pages

Saturday 23 December 2023

A Magic Lantern Show & Carols

 This small country church was built in the Georgian style in 1738 on the site of a larger building.  It seats 100 people; we numbered a few less than that, around 60-70,  but it felt comfortably full.  

Unlike the Carols by Candlelight of last weekend, this time we did have a priest, Father Terry, a retired vicar from slightly further south in Lincolnshire.  He was accompanied by his very well behaved, and elderly, dog, Barney.  

Speaking of dogs, there were at least two other dogs in attendance, one a miniature rough coated Dachshund, the other was a charming medium-sized dog who reminded me of Pip - but only in looks.  Where Pip would have been looking to cause maximum mayhem this dog was content to sit and watch the proceedings.


Mulled wine, mince pies and cream were served afterwards along with mugs of hot chocolate topped with squirty cream piled high with mini marshmallows scattered over the top - adults had theirs with a little tot of something extra to warm their toes, allegedly.

There was one unexpected visitor, a very large black moth.  I am not a fan of moths but I am happy to say that it kept well away from the candles, and there were many.  

After the readings, prayers and carols we were treated to a very unexpected 'Magic Lantern Show' with the slides used to illustrate some of  of the carols.

Talking of magic, the village was the home to a magic wand 'factory' for many years.  I don't know where it was located but after the company went out of business the property reverted to residential.


I said that this church is located in a village, and so it is, but not a village in the sense that there are any shops, pavements or parking places available and very few houses.   We have to park along a dark lane, squeezing into the hedge, then make our way along mostly unlit lanes to the welcoming entrance to the church.

Luckily, one house had helpfully placed Christmas lights all the length of their hedge, which made it a little easier to see our way.


We also had our trusty torches with us and were well booted to make our way along the dark muddy lane.  

All part of the fun of the evening.


Again, it was a great way to spend time with a slightly different community.  There are two more local Carols by Candlelight events which I could attend, but probably won't.  Don't want to spoil a good thing.

Sue in Suffolk - Hello and Merry Christmas!  I closely follow your monthly library book posts - they have proved to be most helpful.  I hope you will be seeing all your grandchildren for the holidays.

Rachel - Thanks for the advice, I will do a bit more tinkering and have a go at some point.

Linda - I hope you are able to save those photographs.  I find that my original blog, along with this rather newer one, have quite a few little treasures which I have posted over the years.

Joanne - It was another very special and enjoyable evening.  Miss Read would have enjoyed it but it would have been far too tricky to try to get her safely installed there.

Billy Blue Eyes - Don't worry, I remember that you are a really good cook.  I was actually teasing my husband with those comments, he can almost open a tin of beans and make toast these days, he just doesn't!  This small country church (we are lucky to have so many small, but perfectly formed, ones around here) but it is well loved.

gz - the church stands on the site of an earlier, larger, church which was abandoned in 1735.  There was a very large country house not far away and an old coaching inn which dated from the early 1500's although the present building is not quite that old, nor is it still an inn, that business closed about a decade ago.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful, I love the hedge lit up to show you the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post. I too love the lighted hedge. Your first 2 paragraphs reminded me of a Jan Karon book, one of the Mitford Series with Father Tim and big dog, his name I have forgotten. :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lighted hedge is almost magical!
    You are so fortunate to have so many old churches available. You used to visit and post on them fairly often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed a lot more dogs come to church these days. I used to organise a Good Friday walk around all my churches and people brought their dogs. The worst behaved was invariably my Fido - I think he realised he could get away with an awful lot in church as I was too busy to sort him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely carol service full of atmosphere . The church is so old but looks to be in excellent condition. What great drinks afterwards!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.