Pages

Thursday 23 May 2024

Capturing the Essence

 A few years ago I had great fun trying to recreate the covers of some of my cookery books.   You could say that I had too much time on my hands, all I know is that I had a lot of fun.  

I posted one or two here, a long time ago.   

I was trying to capture the essence of the cover, rather than slavishly recreating them.  Some are more successful than others.  They were all fun, some of the simplest ones were the most difficult to capture.

I quite liked the way this one turned out, just a preserving pan, a cloth, garlic cloves, an old tankard and the look was there.

I kept this one simple.



This one was photographed outside against a hedge because I couldn't magic up a house lookalike.


I used one of Frankie's dolls to do this little bit of fun.


I had to abandon the little wicker basket for this one, it was impossible to fit it in without obscuring the book cover.  I quite liked the result though.  It was inspired by some large plums in the fruit bowl.

I had a large quantity of red apples, padded my largest soup pan then put apples near the top, and the job was done, once I had found the right place to position it in order to capture the wooden surface.

I'm not quite sure where I was going with this one, but I quite like it.


Impossible to recreate this cover, so I gathered up all things mustard and hoped for the best.

Once again the cover was impossible to recreate, so I just threw in a few country elements.

The same with this one, just Mr Fox and a hunting horn.

I remember doing this one, it was ridiculously difficult trying to prop the book at the correct angle without anything else showing, then the lighthouse wouldn't sit correctly.  I was quite pleased in the end.

This one came about when I had been having fun with baking some fancy rolls.  Out came my picnic basket, pile in the rolls.  Job done!


Sparky decided to assist on this one.  I am not sure that I ever managed to finish this particular photo shoot.  


No, I haven't taken up the crazy suggestion of eating insects, but I did my best to extend the cover, using a silk scarf from my collection.  It does a reasonable job, I think.

I don't suppose I will do any more, that phase has passed.  It was fun while it lasted, and it has been fun for me to look back at the nonsense my brain comes up with.   My head is a restless place!


15 comments:

  1. I love these vignettes - just perfect and such fun to do. The bread, apples and plums appeal particularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all done on a whim, no careful planning. The apples were a gift from a neighbour who had far too many. I put them in my largest fruit bowl, then woosh! the book cover came to mind. I just had to add my largest saucepan and we were almost ready to go.

      Delete
  2. . No wonder your head is a restless place. It's swimming with artistic ideas. The recreations are all lovely. I wonder what you'll come up with next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, if only I could turn all those ideas into something useful! I have just had Winston here for a few hours - he was absolutely wonderful. I think I need a nap now!!

      Delete
  3. You put them together beautifully,
    my favorite is the one with the jams and fruit,
    it sure looks like the pages of magazines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one was fun to do, Katerina. The plums were already in the house, I just had to pick a little bit of greenery, empty some jam into a small pudding bowl and the job was done!

      Delete
  4. You captured some of them even better than the original covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't quite know about that, Marcia, but I had a lot of fun doing them! It was a good lesson in improvisation. My one rule was that I could only use that which I had around me, nothing bought specially.

      Delete
  5. It reminds of an art school project. I did something similar to this in photography to illustrate colour when I was a Foundation student and spent a weekend rushing round the streets of Norwich capturing colour. It was one of my favourite projects. You obviously had great fun doing your cookery book covers; I know how it can sort of takeover everything for a short while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Norwich! It is far too long since I was last there. Nice to think of you rushing around and finding your colour, it sounds very energetic and vital. It is such a good feeling when that woosh of creativity takes over, isn't It!
      My method has always been to bash my way through various art forms by myself, as and when I get the desire to try something out. It only works when some need to do it bubbles up. If I make a conscious effort, I get stuck.

      Delete
  6. You have an eye for composition that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each does what you envisioned. Some with a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The workload was made so much easier when Sparky assisted, Joanne. ;)

      Delete
  8. Fun and rather pretty...would love to have at least one corner of my home 'Country Living' photo shoot ready, but know it'll never happen!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.