Pages

Wednesday 22 May 2024

Walkies with Winston

 This area is perfect for walking.  

Of course I have my favourite routes, but I also like to mix things up a bit.  Sometimes I stick to tracks through and around the local farms, at others I venture out to neighbouring villages and along the lanes.

A quick visit to the church reminded me that I still haven't been up there with my polish and dusters.  Add it to the to-do list.  Somehow I find the thought of dusting and polishing the pews and rails rather more appealing than doing my own housework.

Country lanes and country cottages.   Always beautiful, but a spot of sunshine and warmth makes them even more so.


I always stop and have a chat with any of the livestock which takes an interest.  This splendid new gate has only recently taken the place of a very old and decrepit railway gate strung with barbed wire.  Just as well, the bull is also in this field, and he is a beautiful and very powerful beast.  He was too far over the field for me to be able to photograph him.

Splendid walking, even on the cloudier days.  I can't wait to eventually be able to share these walks with Winston.  It will take quite a while, but in time he should be enjoying them as much as I do.

Meanwhile, this was him yesterday.

I love that serious little face but I really hope to be able to put a smile on it soon.  Those little legs need to grow and firm up before he is ready to tackle a real walk.  Owl Wood and the gardens will be fine for quite a while. 

He comes from a long line of gun dogs, that's not what lies ahead for Winston.  I think that is just as well, he really is the runt of the litter, a little less strong, etc.  Perfect for being my walking companion, rather than a working dog.

Sunday is the day he comes home.  


17 comments:

  1. Gone are the days when all you needed first off was a length of hairy string! Winston looks fantastic, thoughtful and puzzled by something. As for his being a "gun dog" well, maybe let him keep one or two, but properly and in a locked cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cardinal Wolsey! I suppose he could always put them in Jonny's gun cabinet. Mind you, the last time I unlocked it I got beaten up by a family of hairy spiders.
      You can see why it had to be him. One lonely little chap amongst his big burly siblings, always on the outside, or being squashed by the others. My heart melted. x

      Delete
  2. The little fella looks so sad. Hope he is soon smiling in your home and having fun with grandchildren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, I hope that we can work a little magic on him. He certainly won't be short on love and attention, that is for sure.

      Delete
  3. Winston looks more thoughtful than sad, he can't even imagine what a wonderful life awaits him with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a nice way of putting it, Yael. Much nicer to think of him as being a thoughtful pup!

      Delete
  4. I am so jealous! I loved walking my dog but that would no longer be possible. I can still talk to livestock - I think donkeys are the best listeners (after dogs!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember, you will always be welcome to meet the little fellow, Mary. There used to be donkeys up in a field next to the church, I think they had a few stay to have some R&R after the summer season on the beaches.

      Delete
  5. It's exciting waiting for your puppy to come home. He does look serious, but then, some dogs do.
    Handsome young calf and such a beautiful colour.
    Our Labradors have all been working dogs, but we haven't worked them, just enjoyed their company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That particular calf was very anxious to be noticed. I heard today that Winston has been chewing a skirting board, while the others played rough and tumble. If I didn't already have a commitment for Saturday, I would have already collected him. He will have a great life.

      Delete
  6. What a good life awaits him! Think of the mischief he will get into! What a cute pup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will have a lot of fun, Marcia. We have been making adjustments to the boot room to accommodate his crate, his little sanctuary for when he needs a rest.

      Delete
  7. Winston is adorable . I can see how he won your heart. I bet he turns from a runt into a rascal, full of energy, in sniffing heaven in Owl Wood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally smitten, no doubt about that. I can't decide whether Winston, or the rabbits and pheasants who live in the wood, will have the biggest shock when they meet! I keep hoping that Sparky won't go in there because she adores the taste of young rabbit and I could do without finding their ears, tails, etc out on the patio.

      Delete
  8. That's some frown he's wearing...if only we could know what he's really thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful doggy thoughts, I hope. Can't be doing with a canine Einstein!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.