Pages

Monday 6 May 2024

Growing Like a Weed

Thank you very much for all the help in identifying the Wych Elm.   Jabblog-many thanks!  The Wych Elm will now be protected from nibbling deer and will, I hope, spread through the hedgerow.

This weekend has been warm and sunny which is very unusual for a Bank Holiday weekend.  I have begun packing away some of my winter woollies, so we could have snow next week!

*     *     *

My granddaughter had a friend stay over for the holiday weekend.  

They get on really well and don't need to be entertained.    However, as the end of the visit loomed they began to get a bit downhearted.  Granny to the rescue.  I got out the "dressing-up box".    Two newly teenage girls playing dress-up?  Sounds a bit childish?  

Aha!  But I had two special dresses for them to try on.   Two wedding dresses.  

One is my daughter's wedding dress, the other an unused medieval-style wedding dress from a charity shop -  a £5 bargain from about a decade ago.  At the time I was looking for fabrics for dyeing and sewing and all that silk for £5 was too much of a bargain to resist.   My daughter doesn't believe in hanging on to clutter, I am a bit more sentimental, I wasn't going to let her wedding dress go to a charity shop.  Both dresses have been in my dressing room in their zipped bags.


This is my granddaughter, wearing her mother's wedding dress.  She was thrilled that it fitted her so well, so did the wedding shoes.  

They had a great time wearing the dresses and pretending to get married.  Both girls are very sporty, very slender and tall.  They wore the dresses well.  

I think my daughter was delighted to see her dress being modelled so beautifully.  It made her realise that she made a great choice all those years ago!

This is my little flower fairy just a few years ago.  How quickly they grow.

12 comments:

  1. What an inspired idea - I bet the girls loved the chance to be romantic and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did bring out the girly side of them. The funniest part was seeing them trying to walk in high heels while also managing a big dress and trying to be elegant!

      Delete
  2. That must have been such an exciting thing for them to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful girls in dresses.
    Children want to do things or they get bored.
    Very good idea!
    Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katerina. They had so much fun. Two teenage girls, two long dresses and some high heeled shoes=lots of role playing and giggles. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful diversion. Good job, Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best, but I bet you could teach me a trick or two, Joanne!

      Delete
  5. Certainly was an inspired idea. I can imagine what fun it was. For them and for you. Your granddaughter is beautiful. What gorgeous hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a glorious mane, Linda. It has been a sore trial to her mum, over the years, as it is very fine, very curly and used to get extremely tangled when she was younger. For a while, I took over doing it, so they wouldn't fall out over it. Now Frankie looks after it herself!

      Delete
  6. My wife through hers away as it had gone yellow, I think she wishes she kept it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all do these things and then regret them, Billy.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.