Pages

Saturday 8 September 2018

Always Moving On

From birth until the age of seven, I lived in the same house, played with the same friends and had one set of grandparents living right next door.       Life was anchored and safe, I knew my neighbourhood, the school, my friends, my place.   

One day  we children were told that we would be going to live somewhere else, we would be flying on an aeroplane and living in a very hot country, leaving Grandma and Grandad behind, and my cat, Sooty.         One day Sooty was there, then the next day he wasn't.    I was told he had wandered off and found a new home, I still have my doubt about the truth of that!


                                                                                                                                                                   
There was a flurry of activity, lots of new clothes and sandals bought, packing cases filled and the purchase of several B.O.A.C. cabin bags.    We were on our way to Hong Kong, where we would spend the next few years.   In those days the flight took 3 days, with two overnight stops. 

A few years passed, we came back to England.     We moved every two or three years, Lincolnshire was followed by Cheshire, then the Western Isles, Huntingdonshire, Norfolk and back to Lincolnshire.

New places meant new school, new uniform, new curriculum, being the new girl.  Always the new girl.   I hated school.

I met my Geordie husband in Lincolnshire, we married, moved up to Newcastle, then down to Hampshire, back to Lincolnshire, followed by a few years in Dubai, then more time in Abu Dhabi.   I returned to Lincolnshire so that my children could go through their senior school years without being uprooted or always feeling the odd one out.




Back in Lincolnshire, we bought a house just a few hundred yards from the beach.   We lived there until our three children had been through university and were beginning their own travels - Israel, Canada, China, and Taiwan.   Then we moved into the country, I had found my dream cottage.    Perhaps not externally the prettiest cottage in the world, but the atmosphere was very special and so was the interior.

It was an old farmhouse which had originally had lots of land and barns, although only a large garden remained.    Most wonderful of all, though, was the atmosphere.  Peaceful, warm, welcoming, especially in the room which had been the kitchen in years gone by.      No matter what the weather or my mood I just had to walk into that room to feel better.     Nothing dramatic, just a peaceful feeling.

Unfortunately, it wasn't my husband's dream cottage.   We left after a couple of years and moved here.

We have been here for 12 years now.  This house has become home.

Finally, I have been able to put down deep roots.

It was brought home to me how well I know the fields and byways of this area when I was chatting to a local farmer, earlier in the year.    We were talking about foraging, not sure why, when he told me that he had never seen a puffball mushroom.       

Yesterday I was able to give him a rough map of where to find some on his land.   It struck me as quite funny, but then I have the luxury of just being able to walk the land, whereas he farms it.




This one is now about the size of a football, if no one kicks it or picks it should grow even larger.

                                                                                                                                                       

26 comments:

  1. You have quite an extensive travel history, much like mine as a child. Born in NY State, then Philippine Islands, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Georgia, Virginia. When I married we made our home in Columbia, MD - 2 different houses. We've stayed in MD but our dream retirement home that we designed and had built was really our retreat home in the woods away from suburbia. We moved back to Columbia when we moved here to Vantage House. At least our daughters had a stable childhood, unlike mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fact that we both opted for stability for our children! It is good to feel rooted and yet still have the option to travel by choice.

      Delete
  2. I was much the same as a child; 5 primary schools, but fortunately just one secondary school, up and down the country. I've lived in this town for 42 years now, but want to leave. We just need to find a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forty-two years, that is mind-boggling. I hope you find a way!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you are better than me! All you did to that puffball was photograph it! Don't think I could have done that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a big strong dog who likes to lend a hand - and I don't mean with the camera!!

      Delete
  4. And now I see, why you seek to take part in all village activities, which you can. I see.... It is a left-over 'need,' from having been uprooted so much, in childhood. And then, even as an adult. Yes, I see...

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see, just as I see my 'need' to always 'know what's coming next.' And to have order, in my life... As the result of uncertainty at home, in childhood.

    I was so relieved, when I discovered, the above. It let me relax. Let me understand my inner child. And why 'she' sought those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that you have listened and understood your inner child. Mine is still working on me, but we are reaching an understanding.

      We are complex beings, yet so simple in some ways!

      Delete
  6. My Dad told me that Puffball mushrooms are edible (never tried it) and that they taste like air. Have seen one as large as a basketball. They ripen to crusty brown, inside and out. When they break apart there is a large cloud of brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary Bolton - and welcome! The first year I came across them I took one home in great excitement. I cooked it, but our verdict was the same as your Dad's. These days I just get a childish excitement when they appear and then simply watch to see how big they grow.

      Delete
  7. Goodness you are so well traveled. I can remember the new people who would come to our school for just a year or so from the RAF base at Wattisham and then they would be gone again. We never got to know them well.

    I'm afraid I would have had the puffball sliced and in a pan ( unless it's covered in worm holes already!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father worked for the MOD, attached to the RAF, so I could easily have been one of those children!

      The rabbits have been nibbling at one of them, but the others are intact. I tried cooking one once, it was tasteless, but that could have been down to my cooking.

      (ps On Friday I had to go to town, so I posted a few more archaeology books to your son, he should get them in a few days.)

      Delete
  8. Only went to Hong Kong once and that took a long flight straight there, think the longest Inhave taken Tonto somewhere was around 23 hours to Japan. We were only going to stay in our house a couple of years we have been here over thirty. Find it strange a local farmer not seeing a puffball, mind you they are strange to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, I am talking about almost sixty years ago, flights were very different then! Lucky you to be so well rooted in your area, I guess you like the house then.

      I have the luxury of walking the field boundaries and wild areas (not all of his land is suitable for growing grain) whereas he is always driving a big piece of machinery and working. I doubt whether he knows where the wild strawberries grow, either!

      Delete
  9. It's nice to be able to put down roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good feeling, but it is also fun to have adventures and explore new places. I just needed to feel anchored, in a good way.

      Delete
  10. That is such a sweet picture of you. I love it. Roots and family are so important. From pictures you've posted in earlier blogs, your house looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly. I think every other photograph of me as a child shows me with an animal of some kind. Funny how photographs can immediately whizz us back in time. x

      Delete
  11. I do know the feeling of finally putting down deep roots and finding home, after 22 years of travel with the Army. We too have found our inner peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have chosen a marvellous place to put down those roots. I am really glad to hear that Gerard is home with you again.

      Delete
  12. A lovely post Elaine. I still feel I am on the search for my forever home. The funny thing was I thought Owl Wood was an old family home of yours, not a fairly recent find.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from anything else, I am just too tired to ever think about packing and moving, Lettice!
      Perhaps it is because I have written about Owl Wood in all my previous blogs, too, Lettice. It is all old sombrero. No, we have only been here for 12, going on 13, years.

      Delete
  13. Wow thats was some travelling. Glad you feel you have found your lovely home now and can relax and enjoy all it has to give you xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chrissie. It is a lovely place, especially now that the house is back to some kind of normality. Not huge, not grand, certainly not smart or stylish, just comfortable and homely, the way I like it.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.