Pages

Saturday 29 September 2018

Happy Dance!

The sky is blue, the sun is shining, and I have the rest of the day to myself - apart from seeing to the animals, walking the dog again, and cooking a meal later.    Freedom!   Time to play.

On my first dog walk of the day I was fortunate enough to come across two muntjac deer, they lifted their heads to watch me, as I stood still and watched them.   Beautiful creatures.  Then they silently melted into the Wild Wood.   Toby, engrossed in getting the most of some delicious scent up his nose, wasn't aware of their presence at all.

As I turned for home I could hear voices - voices which turned out to be a large flock of geese.    They flew in a spectacular formation but very different from the ones I have seen in the last couple of weeks.






By the time I had found my camera/phone, the formation had altered a little, but here are the remnants, it originally looked like the outline of a bird, even down to body, beak and tail.

All of the above are good reasons to be happy, but what has made me even happier is the print out from the files which gave me so much trouble.    The printer has sent a new and updated copy of Miss Read's booklet, front page adjusted and now properly printed.     Relief!   It looks good.

I can forgive him for all the angst, just about.   I still wish he would update his software though!

I need to proof read it, then I will drop it off for Miss Read to have a read.    Next job will be to decide how many copies will be required and get the money from the Parish Council, who are funding it.

It would never make the best-seller rankings, but as a booklet composed from notes jotted down at a series of informal meetings in the village hall, it does the job.    Simply her recollections of life in the villages during 1930's to the 1960's.   Only of interest to locals, but memories of the area which could have been lost forever.

Now I must head off and play around with my fabrics and sequins.   There is a bazaar on in few weeks time and I need some bits for the stall.

Have a wonderful weekend.




12 comments:

  1. Will you let us know how we can buy the book? I've become rather fascinated by "Miss Read".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a booklet about farming life in this area - changes in farming methods, lists of villagers and their occupations, wartime measures and memories. My brief was to take notes and type them up - which I tried to stick to, so it is not a book that flows as a read!
      (That said, if you would still lie a copy then of course I will be happy to send you one.)

      Delete
    2. I suspect that it would be very similar to here, being so close, so yes, I would be very interested.

      Delete
  2. I reckon every village needs a Miss Read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I bet most villages have one, they just need to be dusted down and listened to. Those monthly Monday meetings provided a great platform for her to chat to all of us, she has enjoyed getting back into 'teacher mode'. Nonsense was not permitted, was quietly ignored. It was fun to see her in action!

      Delete
  3. Oh me too! Please let us know, about a copy of Miss Read's Recollections.

    What a beautiful capture of the geese. Just beautiful. I never seem to be able to photograph them. -sigh- But I'm not outside as much as you are. Which could very well add, to my problem. ,-)

    Now I must look up, which geese fly, in that "almost a bird" formation. Instead of the usual V.

    What a gorgeous little doll! And I love it, that you have given her, white hair!!!!!! :-))))

    Enjoy your day off!!!!!!

    ✨🍁🎃🍁✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those noisy geese were spectacular, I just wish I had had my good camera with me - but that is the way it goes!
      The doll is a prototype, she needs some refinement. My hands are 'rusty' after almost a year off making them. She is wearing vintage sari trim, hence all the beading and sequins.
      As to the booklet - it will be a while before we get the finished item, but of course I will be happy to let you have a copy - just remember it is not written as a novel, it is notes from the meetings!

      Delete
  4. When I was scanning a hundred years of my township's minutes, I had time to read them all. It was delightful to read of life in the last century, and poor Mrs. Ritch's letters to the trustees: Please grade and oil the roads before the first of May; I want to wash and iron the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I hope Doug is feeling a lot more comfortable now and that you both enjoy what is left of the weekend.

      Delete
  6. My goodness I can understand your happy dance. What a joy to see the geese, sounds like an amazing experience. Loved the doll, what a talent you have.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.