Pages

Tuesday 18 September 2018

What £20,000 Can Buy You...



A couple of weekends ago, I toured six churches.     It was Church Heritage weekend.      Here in Lincolnshire we have hundreds of country churches, some small, others large, many are loved, but there are some neglected ones.

This church had been on my 'To Visit' list for a long time, several years, in fact.    It wasn't listed on the heritage trail, but it was only about a mile away from two others which I intended to see, so I added it on.

It is built in a tiny medieval village, medieval in layout, that is, the tiny bit is obvious when I tell you that the population of the village is just 35.          The church is just off the village green, in a slightly elevated position.       From a distance it didn't look too bad, but as I walked towards it, I could see that the lead was missing from the church roof, definitely not a good sign. 

It still looked pretty wonderful, though.   The colour of the stone, the repairs, the whole look of the church appealed to me. 


I fought my way through the nettles and long grass only to find that the door was locked and that there was a 'Police Aware' sign on the board.     It seems that the lead has been stolen more than once.


From what I have read, it seems as though the lead may have been stolen as far back as 2011.



Crumbling old stone, clambering invasive plants, no lead on the roof, one can only imagine the state of the interior.       Once home, I started doing some internet searches, trying to find out why this beautiful 13th century church is so neglected.




Once well loved, supported by a fairly wealthy family, the church simply fell out of use because of the dwindling congregation versus the cost of upkeep, it was eventually declared redundant.       Decay set in, exacerbated when the lead was stolen off the roof. 



Centuries of patching the place up, keeping it going, old red bricks and yellow stone, emergency sheeting battened down on the roof and doing little to stop the water pouring in the big hole which was a bit further up on the roof.

A beautiful little village church.

I had mixed feelings when I read that it had been up for sale, for years.   Twenty thousand pounds was the price, it was stated that it was to be used for running a small business, or for community purposes.      Ha!  was my reaction.     I read a few more reports, found that it was sold, subject to contract and that permission had been sought to change the purchase conditions and planning permission. 

The purchaser, or their architect,  has got a London agent on board and has now got permission to turn this listed church into a home.   They originally planned to make it into a three bedroom house, with the bedrooms in the church tower, but the difficulties of access for the third bedroom now means that it will become a two bedroom house.

Off road parking will be carved into the slightly elevated grounds.     If anyone wants access to the graves and outdoor monuments they will have to write for permission.    Some of the monuments indoors will be kept, no mention of what they will do with the rest - sell them, presumably.

I am glad I took the opportunity to have a look around, but almost wish that I hadn't, I feel so incensed at it all - the theft, the lack of maintenance, the sleight of hand with permissions, etc, all mixed in with relief that the building will be saved.



Someone, with money, is going to get a beautiful home. 

A building saved, but a treasure lost.

21 comments:

  1. Elaine, as I as reading this my heart was sinking too. In the end like you it was a mixture of relief that the building had been saved but certainly some trepidation as to what will happen to such a beautiful monument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt they will make a marvellous job of it, but they will need deep pockets! I'm just an impractical old fuddy duddy!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely little church but so sad to see it totally neglected like that, I guess a population of 35 isn't big enough to warrant use as a community building so maybe a home was the only way of saving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Sue. It is for the best, I was probably more grumpy with myself for leaving it too late to gain access!

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty little church. If developed with care and consideration it will make a wonderful home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone is going to have a truly lovely home, even the grounds felt friendly, if you know what I mean!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is a truly pretty little church, I am glad that it is being saved, Susan.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely little church. With such a small community though, it was madness to sell it with the covenant it had to be for community use only. I hope someone will soon turn it into a much-loved home. I hope that the building is listed so that it will be converted with dignity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is listed, but the protection only goes so far. I am happy that the rot is to be stopped, just sad that it is yet another one lost. I have absolutely no doubt that it will be a really wonderful home, with a very friendly atmosphere, even the churchyard gave off a good feeling.

      Delete
  6. I hope they haven't bought trouble. If it were my project, there would be no access to graves or monuments, except perhaps for the return of a sheet of lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will protect themselves, Joanne. The monuments they would be allowed to access are all out in the churchyard, fairly recent burial stones.

      Delete
  7. So glad you got these pictures.

    Certainly a 2 sided coin. It will be saved, but at what cost.

    And in the end, it all comes down to money. Who has enough, to fully preserve something? Who has enough, to keep-but-change it? And actually, the third possibility is worse... Of it simply going to ruin.

    Or-is-it?

    Questions...

    Questions...

    Questions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The building will be saved, and that is a good thing. I get far too sentimental over these things, Luna. Lots of money will be spent, the building will be 'saved' and someone will have a wonderful home...I should be happy with that. (...and still a small part of me is not.)

      Delete
  8. Suppose I should explain my last comment....

    Nature's Way is cyclical.

    This church was built, for the purpose of being a well kept and attended church. Time went on... The builders died, and with them, the unlimited money, to maintain it, in a proper way. Parish member numbers dwindled... Destruction and decay set in... Even theft...

    Nature is reclaiming it, and the land. Weather is destroying. Vines and etc., are covering it and weakening it.

    Perhaps this is the turning of the wheel...? Just perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The site had a wonderful feeling - but you know me and my 'feelings'!! I just got the impression that it has been an important site for a long, long time. But the wheels of time turn, it is what it is, and I need to be more accepting of it.

      Delete
    2. It might be interesting, to go back, while the work is being done.... If you are allowed. And see what sort of 'feeling' you get then...

      I say, "while work is being done", in hopes you could still get close enough. Quite sure, that when the 'home' is completed, there will be a wide no-go-circle, around it.

      Just thinking......

      🍁 🎃 🍁

      Delete
  9. Better record the churchyard headstones while you can and the rest o fthe church before it is convereted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it will be a while before I can get out that way, Bill. I would need to hack and slash back nettles and brambles just to get to some stones, so that isn't going to happen, but I will do what I can.

      Delete
  10. As soon as I saw the photo I thought, someone should buy it and make it in to a home; and then I read that has happened. What good news, I hope they restore it carefully. It is a shame to just let it fall down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terra - and welcome! It has the potential to be a truly beautiful home, a lovely building and a wonderful location. I hope they spend their money wisely and treat it carefully.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.