Pages

Wednesday 26 September 2018

Incompatibility

I have been somewhat distracted for the last couple of weeks, my time and attention almost wholly taken up with trying to achieve what I have now discovered to be the impossible.      Without going into too much detail - Lincolnshire is a large county, but word of mouth travels fast - I have been led a merry dance.    Not deliberately, not with any malice aforethought, but even so, I have wasted many, many hours of computer work and endless hours of thought and worry on something which was presented as being my problem, when in fact it was not.

Incompatibility. 

My computer programmes are up to date, modern versions, so not necessarily entirely compatible with decade and a half out of date versions...     

This wouldn't matter if it didn't involve six thousand words and thirty five photographs, a lot of work.     Hours and hours of work, especially when you begin everything from scratch again, then spend hours searching for something which (doesn't exist)  may be corrupting that file. 

Frustration, exhaustion, worry. 

It drains energy, zaps the life-force.




This is how I feel at the moment.

Normal service will be resumed soon.   I just need to recharge my batteries!






18 comments:

  1. All that doesn't sound good, hope you get re-charged very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I am nipping into town for a haircut - that will either pull me up, or sink me to the bottom! Thank goodness for mugs of tea and books, books, books!

      Delete
  2. Techology has a lot to answer for - hope you get your problems sorted soon and are back on track. Enjoy your time out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A bit of sunshine and some time away has definitely helped to put things back into proportion!

      Delete
  3. I'm cursing my computer here too...and the digital camera....commiserations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, gz. I hope your problems are soon fixed.

      Delete
  4. The computer may be easier than the haircut! My last cut was perfect, until I ventured, "Oh, if only it were just the same only shorter!" I bet you said the very same to your computer. Only time will fix that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. The haircut was a success, for a change. My computer is fine, it was a publisher's software which was the problem - yet no problem at all, once I knew about it and could make the adjustments. So much time wasted!

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry for all of this. But totally in-the-dark, about what it is about. All I can think of is your book of Miss Read. But that wouldn't be all of Lincolnshire.

    Perhaps you will take a minute, to clarify... Just a minute or two.... :-))))

    Meanwhile... Hugssssss...

    ✨🍁🎃🍁✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, wow! Gratefully received. I have emailed you with the saga.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to hear this - you sound so frustrated. I hope the cups of tea and quiet walks around your beautiful countryside put you back into harmony. A hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I feel much better now. A decent haircut, copious cups of tea and sunshine in the fields have worked their magic!

      Delete
  7. I keep my photos on separate hard drives not just my laptop and that gets chanedcevery three years. I've had enough Greff with busted hard drives to worry over things, there is more to life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very sensible and well organised.
      I had been asked to prepare a 20 page document for a small print run - in the event it turned out simply to be that my up-to-date software was not compatible with someone else's 15 years out of date software - unsurprisingly. Once I found out about the age of the software which was trying to interpret my document, it was an easy fix...it was the long journey before making that discovery which caused the stress and bother.

      Delete
  8. New technology is wonderful when it all works but a right pain when it doesn't and, as you say, it is often fixed quite easily once one knows what the problem is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a heavy cloud following me for a while now - one flap of a feather duster and it was gone - it really was that simple, Susan.

      Delete
  9. Glad to read all is well again, a break away to hairdressers and copious amounts of tea seem to have worked their magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops! Sorry, I missed seeing this one. The haircut is excellent, thank goodness. (I was trying out a new hairdresser, always an unknown quantity.)
      I hope your weekend is going well!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.