Pages

Thursday 13 September 2018

Dandelion Roots and a Wedding Dress





Quite a few years ago I splashed out £5 on a second hand wedding dress.    I  knew that one day it would come in handy and so it has.    The dress was one of those big full white things, the glory of this one being that it was made in silk!    Yards and yards of it, all in very good condition, just very dated in style.

Last week I found these old books in a charity shop, 50p each.     Three of them are very good, packed with useful hints, tips, and recipes.

Tui Flower was a New Zealander, sometimes described as 'New Zealand's Julia Child'.

The Kitchen Garden Cook Book is also excellent, not least for the sections on Flowers, Herbs and Household Tips.

One recipe which quicly got my attention was Dandelion Root Dye, which is described as being of gypsy origin. 

If there is one thing which I now how to grow well, it is Dandelions.   We have lots of them, stout and strong, they pop up everywhere, possibly because of the popularity of the Dandelion Clock game, in certain quarters.



I dug up a heap of roots, scrubbed them clean and, following the directions, soaked them overnight.  The predicted colour was magenta, however the colour I got was not so deep and rich.    It worked well on the silk and came out a very pretty lavender colour.       Perhaps it is a bit late in the season, or maybe I simply hadn't got enough roots out of the ground.   

Once begun it was difficult to stop.      I remembered my stored onion skins and the avocado stone and skin which I had saved and decided to have  a little fun.



You can see some of the results in the top photograph, I am really pleased with the colours.

As I was cutting and ripping sections, I couldn't help wondering whether the dress was ever worn, if it was, are they still together, etc, etc. 

I doubt for an instant that the bride would ever imagine that sections of her old dress are going to become angels/fairies for a bazaar, once I can get into sewing mode!


ps   Apologies for the missing 'K's' in this post, the key eeps sticking!

24 comments:

  1. Just look at those ugly, ugly things. I would not have expected lavender from dandelion roots. Such a lovely way to dress a fairie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look like anaemic prawns! Ugly things, but useful!

      Delete
  2. I'm waiting for a wedding dress in a charity shop that isn't too expensive but has lots of beads on it, I shall then pick them all off, I love doing this.
    One think I haven't tried is dying but seeing your results has stirred me to think that I should give it a go.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find just what you are looking for - lots of beaded evening gowns are coming out on their shelves right now - could be worth a look.

      Delete
  3. So what are you going to do with the Wedding dress beside dyeing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be used to make dresses and gowns for fairies which will be sold at the bazaar, in aid of charity. I do this every year, but try to vary the way I dress them.

      Delete
  4. A good haul of books. I have played (v. briefly) with dyeing down the years and keep threatening to do more of it and more determinedly, but life gets in the way. I am a terrible one for good intentions! I am glad you are having fun with the old wedding dress anyway. I look forward to seeing the wee fairies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just playing with ideas at the moment, the trouble is that my mind is buzzing with ideas, I need to sift through them. I felt bad about cutting the dress up, but then I saw the soft and gentle results of the dyes and felt better!

      Delete
  5. You got some lovely results - beautiful colors. Silk is the no. 1 choice for dying with plants. Pat yourself on the back for being wise enough to take the dress home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struck lucky! I wish I were more organised, I am merely a dabbler, but I have fun. Thank you, Chip.

      Delete
  6. I've still got Kat's wedding dress in the attic (sadly the marriage did not last, I'm going to have to find some dandelions now. I want to make fairy dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are going to be busy exploring Lovely Lincolnshire for a while yet. I hope all goes well with the move, Sue.

      Delete
  7. I once gave someone the husks from our walnuts from our tree and she dyed her home-spun wool with it (a sort of yellow colour.)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there is a thought, a friend on the other side of the village has a walnut tree. Than you, Margaret...sorry, the 'k' key is still having a hissy fit.

      Delete
  8. I'm puzzling over the book underneath " Grow your own No.........?" cant think of anything? Please tell me what it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, I see what you mean. If you had managed to guess it I would have given you a fairy! It is Grow Your Own Nosh...really just about growing vegetables and assorted recipes for them - there doesn't seem to be anything terribly new about it.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hello Susan, I think so, too. They sit very comfortably together and I love the fact that they are all made from weeds, etc.

      Delete
  10. Such beautiful colours, who knew dandelion roots would make such a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beauty comes from the most unexpected sources! The dandelion is a most remarkable plant, so many uses.

      Delete
  11. Have never heard of dandelion dye! They make good eating, I am told. And there is Dandelion Wine. And here is dye. :-)

    How thoughtful of you, to buy something, knowing it would be useful some time. And now it is.

    Bits and bobs for the Christmas Bazaar!

    My Blogger blog update Gadget is falling down on the job. It did not alert me to this new post. Grrrrrrr.....

    🍁🍁🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dandelion cleaner, dandelion coffee, salad, ... the list goes on!

      The main trouble with buying a big a bouffant wedding dress is the storage! I had to squish it up and push it to the back of the dressing room, it is a relief to finally have it cut up and in use, Luna.

      It is a beautiful late summer/early autumn morning here, too cool to feel summery but sunny and with enormous flocks of wild geese circling around as they prepare to head off to other lands. Breathtakingly beautiful and much more like autumn.

      Delete
  12. Brilliant, look forward to seeing your angels and fairies xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I am just at the fiddling about stage, trying this and that, struggling to remember the best method of making them, it is great fun!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.