Pages

Friday 13 July 2018

A Snapshot of English Village Life


The marquee has been erected down by the tennis court.    The catering vans are dropping off the china and glassware.    Meanwhile, the gardener has been busy mowing lawns and trimming verges, making everything look fabulous for the big day.

Let me take you for a quick tour of the little church - now clean and sparkling and smelling of a heavenly blend of florists shop and beeswax.       




The bride's mother did all the flower arrangements - very beautifully, mainly white and green.   





Even the old knight has a small floral arrangement.

















Every window ledge, the pillars, the pew ends, the altar and the font - plus any other accessible place has been dressed and adorned beautifully.








The 1867 organ was in no need of beautification,  just a tickle with a feather duster.



I wonder how many times it has been used to bash out a wedding march.





The larger windows had two arrangements, it is difficult to get an idea of scale, but they are large!




Small touches here and there.    


It is all set for a truly beautiful wedding.




The bride's mother stopped by, just as we were having a final flick around with a duster.    I suddenly found myself enfolded in a huge embrace, receiving a hug of thanks - oh, and she had spotted a mouse when she was doing the flowers, so she had left some mouse treats.       

She may be the bride's mother but she is also a farmer's wife and a retired doctor, my GP until she retired!   Practical, funny, and a larger than life personality.



The village is surrounded by golden fields and parched grass.  The weather has been much cooler for a day or two, still no rain.    





Lavender and daisies are still doing well.









So are the roses.



I have gathered lots of rose
petals and, thanks to Jennie at Codlinsandcream2 blogspot,  have learnt how to dry them in the microwave.   It takes seconds and they retain their colour.


Beautiful petals ready to make pot pourri, later in the year.

Bad things have been happening at either end of the village, diesel stolen from one farm and an attempt to steal a collection of motorbikes (another one!) from a farm at the other end.

Everyone is on high alert.   

Rural crime is on the increase, even here in paradise.

They won't get us down, the big event this weekend is the wedding.

Have a lovely weekend.


22 comments:

  1. The church looks beautiful thanks to your hard work. Unfortunately crime is everywhere we just have to keep an eye out for people who don't belong in the area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, Bill. It was built around 1327, replacing an earlier church, but was restored in 1862. It always has a wonderful atmosphere, even when draped in cobwebs and grime.

      Delete
  2. Oh I am so very,very happy, that the Mother Of The Bride knows who made the church clean and sparkling and sweet smelling!!!!! Yesssss!!! It's all well and good, to do lovely things, and expect to wait for a "heavenly reward." But since I don't believe in any such, I want you your good works to be know, now. :-)))

    Yes, the flower arrangements are lovely.

    But no way, would this building be as wonderful, if you and your friend had not done much back-breaking work, to spruce it up!!

    So there! >,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was done for fun, not for 'heavenly reward'! It was a pleasure to bring it back to life - ask me to do housework and you won't see me for dust!!! ...but, thank you. ;)

      Delete
  3. When you mentioned drying flower petals, it reminded me, of Corey's daughter's wedding, just days ago. Here is a link, to what she did, for Chelsea's wedding. :-)

    Must look at the microwave way, because I would love to have something natural, to give fragrance, around the house. I can not use any of the "fragrance" candles any more... After knowing what they are made of!!!! Will not burn these, and breathe in that awful stuff.

    But pot pourri! How perfect. I can try my hand at it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a quick look, what a beautiful wedding. I am not a great fan of the microwave, but it does have some uses - and this has become one of my favourites. I keep nipping out to gather up petals before they discolour, spread them out on kitchen paper, one minute in the microwave (occasionally a little more) - and the magic happens. Bright and beautiful, dried to a crisp and yet most retain their fragrance. Much the nicest way to scent the home. I don't like artificial smells and air fresheners.

      Delete
  4. "Rural crime is on the increase, even here in paradise."

    The proliferation of people, who do not see any good/need, to working, for what they want. Such have always been with us, but are they growing in number?

    And perhaps, a not delightful result, of the *higher-up's* pushing for the welcoming of.... Those from elsewhere, who do not have anything to contribute, to a welcoming society. Nor do they want to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of these things may originate from within the community, a little local knowledge shared, perhaps. Extra care, extra vigilance, get on with life. The stories I could tell, but they will never make the blog! Too easy to let the bad things overwhelm and then life would become stressful, grumpy and ugly. I prefer to celebrate the nicer side of life, while not ignoring the rest. The day is dawning fair, soon I will be heading out across the fields, hoping to see deer and hares, fingers crossed! Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely post. I loved the pictures of the church. What a beautiful setting to get married in.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't suppose the bride will have time to notice, but the guests are definitely in for a treat!

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful setting made perfect by all your efforts. The floral arrangements were a treat for the eyes, very pretty. Such a shame about the crime sadly the days of leaving your door open and such are long gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing what changes a little elbow grease and fresh flowers can bring about! Please don't tell me that it has reached the island, too...

      Delete
  7. You did good! The floral arrangements are all the better for your hard work in making the place sparkle.
    As to the "crime wave" I'd say look to the locals who know where things are. We are often quick to blame outsiders but think about it? How do they know where things are kept?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Marcia. I have to be careful with what I say, but I also think local knowledge is sometimes a factor.
      Sending you my very best wishes for Monday...I'll keep you off the cleaning rota (not that one exists) until you have fully recovered.;-)

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful church and the floral displays are amazing. I once watched some women doing the displays in Chelmsford Cathedral what artistry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that standards are very high in the cathedral floral department! It is one of those things where I set out with good intentions and then end up shoving flowers into a vase/jam jar and letting them sort themselves out!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad your petals turned out well too. Those floral displays look stunning, and the bride is going to have one very sunny day for her wedding. I hope it all goes well.

    Sorry to hear that rural crime is happening even in the peace and quiet of your parish. Round here it's quad bikes and horse trailers and useful things like that which go missing - probably straight over to Oirland, since there is a ferry going from Fishguard and one from Pembroke too. Oh, and Swansea to Cork too. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microwave magic - so easy and very effective - thank you! Our basket of colourful petals is growing very nicely, I am surprised by how much scent they retain, too.

      No wonder country folk stand and stare at 'strangers'! You just can't be too careful - although it is easy to become paranoid about things. I rely on Toby to tell me when a vehicle pulls up in our car park, it is at the far end of the house and I can't hear them these days; he is brilliant at scaring delivery people, too. Big dog, big bark, he has his uses.

      Delete
  10. The church looks gorgeous, and I love the flowers!! Glad the bride's mother was so generous in her appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was delighted. I bet she is having a wonderful day and will be worn out by tomorrow.

      Delete
  11. How lovely! And it's wonderful to know how much it is appreciated. You have done a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margie. It was a pleasure to feel part of the long chain of women who have put a little something into the old building.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.