Pages

Tuesday 17 July 2018

Hot Stuff!



Up until a few days ago, Lincolnshire had basked in beautifully warm weather, not the baking hot temperatures which have toasted other parts of the country.    We were very happy.     

Then along came the humidity, plus a few degrees of extra heat, the air became heavy and moist - add to that all the tiny flies which come off the fields, when harvest begins, and things can begin to get a little unpleasant.

No point dwelling on the unpleasant though.      

At the weekend I took two of my grandchildren to one of the neighbouring villages,  they were holding their annual craft fair.





It was a hot, hot day, bright sunshine and deep, deep shadows.    Nothing stops these two though, race down the lane, turn at the arched red door...beautiful music is made behind that red door.  Seriously.     It is a recording studio.






Past charming old houses...













...down to the huge old rectory and on to the church.







This was taken earlier in the year, when they held their plant sale - always a brilliant place to pick up some bargains for the garden, including sweetpea seedlings.



The handsome church was built in the Georgian style in 1738, on the site of a larger building.

My granddaughter, aged six and a half, got the bargain of the century.    Some girls had set up a stall to raise funds for charity and were selling cakes, books, dvds, bric-a-brac, and Barbie things.     A Barbie palace, a coach, caravan, car, furniture, bits and bobs, plus several horses and goodness knows how many Barbie dolls.      The price?  £10 the lot.    

Luckily their mother was there, so we checked again - yes £10, for everything...would you like us to put them into bags?   (I imagine the subtext was please, take it all away, it has cluttered up my home for too long.)   Some Barbies have had a haircut, there are odd bits which are the worse for wear, but even so!

The girls may have had a small extra donation from Gran.  (Proceeds were for a very good cause.)


Back home, to a rapturous greeting from Toby Too, he was also feeling the heat but was still trying to get someone to kick a ball around with him.






The sweetpeas are coming in thick and fast now.   I was surprised to find that they are almost all hot and pink in colour, could have sworn I chose pale and ethereal this year!    I can't complain, they were a bargain.


Even when it is hot, people still want to eat - alas!    The cake tins were empty, so was the bread bin.



I made another batch of these - Aztec 'biscuits', surely one of the easiest recipes - just chopped apricots, walnuts, chocolate (I often use choc chips) and lots of dessicated coconut mixed with condensed milk and then baked for 20 minutes.

I don't eat them, but somehow they disappear at a rate of knots from the biscuit tin.    Husband and grandchildren find them irresistible.





I also made a batch of bread - I prefer sourdough, but this is milk bread, much softer and it also keeps well.

Today is a little cooler, which makes Toby happy.     The fields are looking ripe and ready, poppies everywhere, the smell of hot barley is in the air, even on an early morning walk.       



I'm not complaining, I like the kind of heat we have here (not the humidity) but I am glad that I don't have to work in it...and if I happen to nod off after lunch ... so what?



19 comments:

  1. Oh my! Lincolnshire has been "hit" also. Your brother probably feels that "it is about time." Since he has been suffering, for a while now. >,-))))

    Love the delightful countryside, where you live.

    Ohhhh, a haul of Barbie things!!!! Happinesssssssss for your grand daughter. But now, her mom has to find places, for their storage. -sigh-
    But they will be used a lot, for a few weeks... After that, they may just slowly 'disappear'.... Perhaps "The Borrowers" will come looking, and find use for them...? It does happen, you know....

    How do good wives bake in this weather? I saw a pie made, the other day, and I asked the same question. Not here. No oven use, until the heat/humidity passes. I will not use a/c, to cool a kitchen, for baking. Just enough, to cool _me_!!!! ,-)))))

    Dear Toby! They just want to play, no matter what the weather is. But then, they can't read the weather reports, about how hot it is... And how it is way too hot, to run around. Nope, they don't read. They live in blissful ignorance. Sometimes, we would do well, to do the same......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Ian, he really doesn't cope well with heat - but this is England, he will soon be battling rain and gales, hail and snow!
      My poor daughter! She had hoped to keep her daughter well away from all things Barbie - and indeed, the thing which caught Frankie's eye was the heap of Barbie horses, she would very happily have settled for those! Who could resist such a bargain though?
      I could quite happily live off salad or stir fry vegetables in the hot weather, not so, other people. I just grit my teeth and get on with it - leave the dishes for someone else to do. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Ohhhhh... "The Barbie Thing" got out of the box, as it were. >,-) Perhaps she will pay more attention to the horses, and "Barbie" can disappear.... Perhaps....

      Thank you for the "Humidity Compassion". :-) Thankfully, we are back to normal summer weather today. Just in time!!!! :-)

      Delete
  2. And now I must bother you for another recipe - those biscuits! Having to eat gluten free, they sound almost too good to be true! I could almost smell the hot barley, looking at that last photo. Your sweet peas are divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure, Susan. I will fit the recipe into a post - they do come with a health warning though - apparently, they are highly addictive. The smell of hot barley is so hard to define, and yet it is quite wonderful. Ditto the scent of sweet peas!

      Delete
  3. How absolutely beautiful! I want to move over there where you are! :) Such a pretty place for a craft fair. And I was just bragging on the pretty shady place my sister and I were on Saturday, for a craft fair. That was a great deal on the Barbie things. Bet your granddaughter could not wait to get home and start playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must come for a visit, Henny! She had those Barbie things spread all around the garden, little games going on in each area. Her favourites are the horses, she is animal mad! Having said that - everything else is getting a lot of attention, too. Would that some of it could have been squirreled away for another time.

      Delete
  4. Oh, what an absolutely lovely summer post!!! Great buildings, lovely scenery, yummy biscuits and bread … and I love the Venetian window on that Georgian church! A bit different from Gothic Revival! I love the sweet peas and the field bordered with poppies, reminds me of a holiday, far too long ago, in Suffolk, with the big skies, the corn and wheat fields and the poppies.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely church, perfect for that particular village. It is another tiny village, no village hall, so it has become the hub of all village community life, as well as still holding a monthly service.
      The fields were looking just as lovely this morning, masses of poppies along the margins and the smell from the field is sublime - to be enjoyed and appreciated before they begin muck-spreading again!! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Margaret.

      Delete
  5. I love the flow of this little tale; the red door and the red poppies are beautiful bookends, and redheads are irresistible. Some grandma's have all the redhead luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't miss much, do you Joanne! My older son's wife has the most glorious mane of auburn hair - her two boys show not a glimmer of it, at the moment. Time will tell.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what an amazing buy with the Barbie haul a great find. Such pretty sweet peas and the red poppies by the corn was a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a very happy little girl - her mother, not quite so much. They have the summer holidays coming up now so they can negotiate some older toys away to make space...I hope. I love sweet peas - they are prolific, beautiful, and most importantly, they smell good!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like they had a great time. I hate the heat and its killing my garden but I'm glad there are no thunder blight about, I don't miss them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those thunder flies are a real nuisance, aren't they. As for the poor gardens, you have my sympathy. Our lawns look like shredded wheat, sound like it, too.

      Delete
  8. That sounds like a real bargain with those Barbie dolls and extras. Remembering all the bumff my girls used to have, it was a relief when they grew out of that stage.

    It looked like a great day out and what a beautiful church that is - I love the architecture of it.

    I haven't baked for ages (too hot) though I did rustle up some Raspberry Muffins on Mondaywhen we had guests, and Danny ended up with them as the guests didn't stop for tea.

    Round here it's all pasture for cattle and sheep, too hilly and too wet for wheat or barley. Mind you, we did see some fields ripening for harvesting when we were in Cardiganshire yesterday.

    I have Sweet Pea envy as not ONE of mine germinated this year . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a handsome little church, I particularly like the far side of it, with that attractive window. Handsome on the outside, but not especially comfortable to use inside (we have to attend Christmas concerts, etc) and, for all that it is used a lot, it lacks real atmosphere. Some buildings have it, others simply don't, for whatever reason.

      Harvest is in full swing on some farms, they are working from before 8am until late into the evening, making the most of the dry weather. Then I walk on a field, or two, and come to a herd of cattle, lying down and enjoying the shade of some old trees, up a small incline, and I am back to fields of gold. We certainly don't have those wonderfully dramatic hills that I admire so much - but I am not complaining.

      Faxing some sweet peas over to you as I type...

      Delete
  9. What a pleasure to read you blog. Such a nice newsy slice of life. Not at all what we get here in the news. I’d love to be able to wander in you village and neighboring ones. Have done that once when we took a walking trip in the Cotswolds in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say, thank you.
      There are some lovely places, and some rather less than lovely, the trick is to focus on the nicer bits! I imagine your visit to the Cotswolds was filled with visual delights and made for some very happy memories.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.