Pages

Friday 6 July 2018

A Thief in the Night



One of the problems of living in a very small village is that there are eyes watching your every move.       There is a Neighbourhood Watch sign just beyond the railway bridge, and they are not kidding.       



I suppose you could call these our next door neighbours, they are just across the field and over the stile.   A public footpath runs between their paddocks, it's one I often use.



The fat little pony and her companion, Wooster.    They all stop their grazing to watch the entertainment.




The pathway became difficult to navigate, it had been left to grow wild - think three foot high stinging nettles and hedges so overgrown that they almost met in the middle.



Sometime earlier this week the pathway fairy must have been, the hedges have been cut back, the whole long pathway strimmed and trimmed.     



A couple of hundred yards on and the pathway comes out almost opposite this pretty house.      No prying eyes here, the people have just moved out.        



As usual, the village is very quiet.   There are a few cars parked, but no people in sight.   They could all be peeping out from behind their lace curtains, but it feels more like a ghost village.

A few weeks ago a thief in the night visited and stole a very special motorbike, I say a thief, but it was a group of men.    

Not an animal stirred, no dogs barked, no lace curtain twitched.

They were caught on cctv, although I don't think they have been caught in real life.      They had obviously been watching carefully, for the bike was stored at the back of a locked garage, behind a parked car.   They would have had to use bolt cutters to cut the security chain and then lift the bike over the car to get it out of the garage.    They took less than five minutes to do the whole thing.




The long stretches of hedge always make me wish that Tim Bushe lived around here.   He could have some fun with them.    Tim Bushe is responsible for cutting some rather lovely shapes out of hedges.   If you haven't seen his work ...


found on google, Daily Mail, I believe.
I love this one of the elephants.


found on google

Or how about cats?    Those long hedges would give him plenty of scope - and there are lots more of them in the village.       I wonder whether I could pop along, in the middle of the night and do some cutting and sculpting...





Beautiful blue sky over the old Methodist Chapel, now a residence.   
Lots of people have ripped up their old hedges, then they complain at how they have lost their privacy.   They erect ugly six foot high wooden fences.   Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Oh, well.   Life moves on.    The village changes.   People come, people go.    Houses get renovated, or built, others come in and change them about.   The same with gardens.   It is how it is.

What is a mystery to me, is that I rarely see anyone about in the village and yet changes happen.   It must be those elves working a night shift.




I have a busy day ahead of me.   I am hosting a double birthday party tomorrow.     The title says it all.    I am not a party animal, but they will have fun.


20 comments:

  1. I always think it to be such a shame that crime has no boundaries and even finds us in the leafiest of idyllic places. When I lived in a village it was garden sheds that got broken into or farm equipment taken (which must have been planned). Now we live out in the middle of nowhere and if you see someone near our house the chances are they are up to no good. Fortunately we've not had such an experience but we know it goes on in our two local towns. Hope they get the bike back.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mitzi. I hope they do, but I have my doubts. Farms are very vulnerable - livestock and equipment - I have noticed that many of the ones around here have really increased their security - and who can blame them.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of lot's of thefts around here recently, it's a big worry, there are so many CCTV cameras in towns the thieves are trying their luck in the countryside.

    Have fun with the birthday bash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I have just stepped away from the kitchen - i think I have done as much as I can for today - and anyway, I am tired!!

      Delete
  3. The thing that comes to mind is... how did they know it was there? In such a quiet location surely someone would have seen folk loitering? Or ... shock horror... a local!?!

    YOU... not a party animal? Pull the other one Elaine. I reckon you are as reluctant a hostess as I am... you old fibber-dibber! Bit warm today for cooking, mind!

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lettice, Well, he does work for a motorbike racing team...
      The truth is that although I was trained, from an early age, to look after people at parties, and it does all seem to flow quite easily, it is all an act and it exhausts me! You, I think, genuinely enjoy it all. Lucky girl!

      Delete
  4. I love that hedge artist! What talent! As to your thieves I agree that its likely someone who knew where the bike was. A "friend" of a friend.
    Enjoy the party. Must be for the grandkids right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, The hedge artist is a retired architect, he began doing it just for fun, to enliven his garden, and then neighbours asked if he could do theirs, too. Great fun.
      The party is for my daughter and my husband. Can't believe that she is 40 years old, how did that happen?

      Delete
  5. Elaine,

    It's too bad about the motorbike. Sometimes I think some people work harder at not working than they would if they did honest work. The village dogs were certainly off-duty.

    The hedges are lovely -- those trimmed into shapes and those just trimmed. What kind(s) of bush/shrub are used for these hedges?

    Enjoy your party (or at least, enjoy the enjoyment of those at your party).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brett, The hedges are mostly privet, very commonly used in England. I really like the simplicity of the shapes he chooses, the playfulness in those lines. There are, of course, lots of other varieties of hedging - Hawthorn, Box, Beech, Laurel, to name just a few.

      I think everyone will have a good time, they will certainly eat well! I spent over seven hours preparing food, cooking and baking, today. Now everything is wrapped, , covered, chilled and stored. The flowers and foliage have been gathered from the garden, cutlery, glasses and china polished. The weather promises to be fine and warm, which is quite a bonus!

      Delete
  6. very odd about the theft. Someone with enough knowledge to know about it, but not obviously known by the camera. Very odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Silver Willow, They wore hoodies, so they were difficult to identify. But yes, I think there was quite a lot of local knowledge..

      Delete
  7. How interesting, that such a complicate theft, could happen, and no person or animal, noticed.... Is it the heat? Is everyone and animal, simply too 'loggggy' to care?

    I'm not a party animal either. But you do things wonderfully, and all will be lovely. Your husband and another person, whose birthdays are "around" this time? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luna, Yes, husband and daughter - our first-born, difficult to believe that she is 40 years old now. She still looks like a slip of a girl - well, she does to us!!! Their birthdays are just 6 days apart, so it made sense to have a joint party, or it did when I first suggested the idea. ;)

      Delete
  8. I love those hedges - how wonderful it would be to get to walk by them every day! I'm always amazed at how hard thieves will work to steal something from someone that they are too lazy to work for themselves. If you catch my drift. The only thing I like about parties is the preparation - then I skedaddle into the kitchen and stay there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, That sounds like a great idea! The trouble is that I always feel obliged to make sure that everyone has food, drink and is not being ignored (unless that is what they prefer). My parents enjoyed their parties and made sure that my brothers and I were active participants - looking after the guests. Good training, but I have always found myself wondering why people enjoy them. :(

      Delete
  9. You may be on to something. But a motor bike over top a car, that's some sleight of hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it! Four or five strong and stealthy weightlifters, probably stealing to order, it was that special.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I'd just love an elephant hedge! Or even a hedgehog hedge, ha ha! They are wonderful!
    Crime, sadly, like polluted air, is all around. We need to be vigilant, especially this hot weather, leaving doors and windows open, too.
    We're not party animals, never have been, and certainly not this hot weather. I once attended a 25th wedding anniversary barbecue (I was on my own, husband was on a business trip to Germany) and it was so hot, and the heat of the barbecue made is 100 times worse. My idea is a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake with a friend, not trying to be jolly in a crowd (the last 'crowd' was abut 12 people here for husband's 80th, but it went well and we enjoyed it. Twelve people is a lot to us!) Hope all goes well for you.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent!!! If I ever attempt one, it will be a hedgehog - should I call her Margaret or galant?

      The day is set to be a hot one, we have plenty of outdoor shade and tables, others indoors. People can choose. As we have rather unfortunately clashed with an England football match, I expect there will be some younger men who will choose to gather around a television - I could be wrong. ;) A cup of tea and a slice of cake with just a couple of friends is definitely my preferred route, too. Elaine (and yes, this is me. I am checking out some things on my old id and forgot to change when I responded to Joanne.)

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.