Pages

Monday 30 July 2018

When your Fridge/Freezer Breaks

The recent storms have brought some very welcome rain, the plants are all looking much happier with their drink of soft refreshing rain, rather than the more recent glugs of hard tap water.       

Unfortunately the rains were accompanied by very strong winds, with even stronger gusts,  a recipe for disaster for one rain drenched Rowan tree, which came down yesterday lunch time.    Close examination revealed that the poor tree was diseased, something which was not visible on the exterior.          It crashed down and the top most branches brushed down against the pear tree, luckily no damage was done and no one was hurt.



The fridge/freezer in the Boot room had stopped working some time during the storms and hadn't  the courtesy to tell us about it.   I managed to salvage some bits of food, but much more had to be thrown out.      Perhaps the most annoying bit (other than the waste) is discovering just how much we rely on our refrigerators these days, especially in summer.

After sorting everything out, cleaning, throwing, salvaging, etc. my head was a whirl.       I decided to bake bread, that most soothing and pleasing of occupations, especially when I have something new to try.    So this first photograph shows you what my kitchen table looks like when I am simply baking, no clearing things away to make a less cluttered photograph!

I had read an Elizabeth David recipe for making a cottage loaf - nothing new there, you may say, and you would be correct.     The interesting thing was that she recommended that the bread be put into a cold oven.



The recipe is a very simple one:

One and a half pounds of strong flour, half a pound of wheatmeal flour, half an ounce of yeast, three quarters of an ounce of salt (I used a bit less!), one pint or a little less of warm water.

The only mixing instructions:  Care must be taken not to make the dough too slack.





I will write the recipe out on my other blog, sometime soon, with full baking and making instructions. 

I didn't end up with a picture-perfect cottage loaf, but the bread is good, and the process of kneading the dough calmed my mind, so did a goodly slice of freshly baked bread slathered in butter.

Of course now I am wondering whether this cold oven start would work on other bread doughs.

24 comments:

  1. Did you prove the loaf first or just knead and pop into the oven?

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking instructions could compete with War and Peace in length. The bread was proved, quick knead, prove again, then some fiddling, more resting and into the oven.

      Delete
    2. Normal method, just the COLD oven. As I make bread every couple of days, I will give my recipe a chilly start.

      LX

      Delete
  2. It may not be picture-perfect but it makes a perfect picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I've heard of a cold oven for bread but I like it. Can't wait for the recipe to give it a go. The loaf looks yummy.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to post it later in the week, Briony.

      Delete
  4. The bread certainly does look tasty. I must admit to cheating and using a bread making machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad about the fridge. Was this the back-up one or the only?
    Bread does look good. Haven't baked any for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love baking bread, Marcia. This was my main fridge/freezer, I have a chest freezer out in a shed, that wasn't affected.

      Delete
  6. That dough looks perfectly kneaded . No floury mess around the loaf either!
    Mine's normally a cold oven. I reckon it gives a better oven spring.
    Delicious looking bread

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly be using it again - though not necessarily with a cottage loaf, far too fiddly!

      Delete
  7. It's true, that doing something so ordinary like kneading bread dough, can render peace in your life. I would love to not be so dependent on my electric appliances - like my refrigerator and freezer - but I am. Totally. By the way, I made your Aztec cookies this weekend and they are DIVINE! My new favorite dessert! They also got rave review from the barn crew and my workmates. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making bread, Susan. Delighted that the cookies were a success, I did warn you that they are addictive!

      Delete
  8. Oh mercy! Losing power and thus, frozen things. I often wonder about such, when reading about people who freeze 'oodles and batches' of food, for winter. It's wonderful! Only if the power doesn't ever go out.

    It must have been an irritating and frustrating job, to clear out the freezer. No wonder you needed the gentle routine of kneading bread, to calm you down.

    Never mind a "perfect" loaf. Who care what it looks like? It's how it tastes, that counts!!!! Said by someone whose pies never 'come out of pie pan' neatly. -sigh- But my husband says; "It's the delicious taste, that counts." :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fridge/freezer is the one I use for everyday food. Because we live out in the country I tend to shop just once a week, which means that the fridge had been newly stocked... The freezer had lots of the things I keep in for feeding the grandchildren. It was annoying, but worse things happen. At least the main freezer was unaffected.

      Delete
  9. Delightful!!! To see a real kitchen! A real kitchen table!

    I grow so weary of all the purrrrrrfect photos, of purrrrrfect areas, in people's homes. Instagram is famous for this. I don't participate in IG anymore. All the perfection, is too much, to "compete" with. ,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kitchen table is a real work horse. I find the level suits me for baking purposes, I must have shrunk over the years because the worktops are a tad high now.

      Delete
  10. The storm left us with a casualty too - our tv. We are hoping it can be mended, but when we came across a decent second hand set in a shop today we went for it! Keith has now got it working, thank heavens.

    Sorry to hear about your tree loss and your defunct fridge-freezer, but perhaps the new one will be incredibly energy efficient and last forever. Your photo made me want to make non-Panasonic bread again but we are SO BUSY at the moment, it will have to wait. I look forward to the cooking from a cold oven start recipe. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. A cottage loaf always reminds me of being sent to the corner shop to buy one for mum (to "save her legs" she used to say!) and it would be scorched on the top (yum) and still warm, and I would scoff the top bun on the way back home!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like something I would have done - I would pick the crust off any fresh loaf I was sent out for. I have always loved bread.

      Sorry to hear about your television, but I am delighted that you found a good second hand one! Home baked, food of the gods, no matter how you bake it.

      Delete
  12. Your loaf looks gorgeous. I love the smell of bread baking. What a pain your freezer packed up. I know what you mean by relying on it, I think mine is on borrowed time :(
    BTW thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Molly, You live in a stunningly beautiful area, the effort of that walk was worth it for the view! I hope your freezer continues to work for many a year yet - such a nuisance to deal with otherwise! xx

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.