Pages

Thursday 5 July 2018

Make Sorbet in a Pewter Pot



Take about one pound of blackcurrants, an old recipe book, and work a simple bit of magic.     Four or five hours later you can be enjoying this...




Blackcurrant sorbet!

There are lots of recipes out there but I just tweaked one that is in an old handwritten recipe book.   I don't have the name of the woman who wrote all the recipes, alas!     I think she would be amazed to think that someone is still reading and enjoying her collection almost two hundred years later.


How to freeze
The freezing pot is to be of pewter and should be 3 times as large as the quantity you want to freeze also have a large tub enough to admit of 4 inches of ice between the sides of the tub and pewter pot which is to be placed in the middle the ice to be well pounded and mixed with salt.

I used my freezer, but you could use an ice cream maker.

Mash the currants and strain the juice through a flannel bag.  Make a syrup and add it to the juice.  Freeze.

Basic!   I used:  

1 lb blackcurrants, 6  oz sugar and a cup of water, juice of one lemon.     Unlike the woman who wrote the recipe,  I cooked the blackcurrants very gently in a tiny amount of water, just until they were soft and squidgy, then I pushed them through a sieve to remove the seeds - easier than trying to find a flannel bag.   

While that was cooling, I made a light syrup from the water and sugar and then let that cool down, too.   

Mix the blackcurrant juice and syrup together, along with the lemon juice,  then pour it all into a lidded airtight container which can be put into the freezer.      Wait a couple of hours, then remove it from the freezer and break up the ice crystals with a fork, mix together, then re-freeze.   Do this again an hour or so later.    






Perfect for a meltingly hot summer's day.










Last summer I made a blackcurrant leaf sorbet - using young blackcurrant leaves, lemon, water, sugar.   It had a fabulous flavour.  Well worth trying.








12 comments:

  1. Oooh, I've just picked this year's blackcurrants, so when our busy weekend is over (Antiques Fair) I shall give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck at the Antiques Fair, Jennie.

      Delete
  2. And they look so pretty toooooo!

    Hand written recipes. Wouldn't she be amazed... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had quite a thing for ices and water ices - lots of recipes!

      Delete
  3. Both of those would be delightful here with the warm weather we are having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blackcurrant one is tart and refreshing, the blackcurrant leaf one is much lighter.

      Delete
  4. I think my granddaughter might be persuaded to stick with this for five hours. Easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was easy peasy - and so good!

      Delete
  5. Thank you, thank you! This will be on the weekend's menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Susan. A little effort, but so good.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.