Pages

Thursday 26 July 2018

Kitchen Garden and Owl Wood Journal




We are still managing to harvest enough for stir fries and salads, but the plants are definitely suffering under the blazing sun and the lack of rain.     I find that the best way to get my grandchildren to eat mange tout, peas and tomatoes, is to ask them to go out with a colander to pick some for me.
They always succumb, and end up munching.




This doesn't work with the courgettes or cucumbers, unsurprisingly.


The old Bramley apple tree is doing best of all, but then it usually does - whether we remember to do the wassailing ceremony, or not.





I sometimes forget, then feel guilty, but the old apple tree does us proud anyway.    Thank goodness.



I always let a couple of leeks go to seed, the bees love the flowers, so do I.   Just looking at this photograph shows me that I may have left a few too many this year.



Not that the bees are complaining, they are buzzing around them quite happily.




Enough of that, though.     I have finally got round to having a play, making some botanical dyes, just for fun.   Each winter I usually end up making angels and fairies which are sold to help raise funds for local causes.  

 The trouble is that I soon become bored with making them, so each year I have to find some fresh angle.     This year I decided to have a bit of  fun and have a go at dyeing my own fabrics with things from the garden - I have used rosemary, lavender, mint, flowers, blackcurrants, etc.

The results have been pretty, but subtle. 



I need to do it a bit more seriously now.   

The early results of my experiments have been beautiful, but the differences in shades don't show up well in a photograph, although they do make an interesting page in my Owl Wood journal.




This weekend I shall redouble my efforts, try for some different colours.   I could read up about it on the internet, but that would take the fun out of it.

Now I have a dog sitting, gazing at me.    Those brown eyes are telling me that it is time to take him for his morning walk, before it gets too hot.   

I hope you manage to stay cool, wherever you are.



14 comments:

  1. Oooh, what a lovely blog, I'm glad I dropped in for a peek :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a good crop of vegetables. My grandkids would love the harvest but I'm not sure they'd try any of it. Cucumber and tomatoes are eaten in small quantities. They grow up though and, mostly, change.
    Your dyeing is wonderful. I do hope you'll show us more of the results...and the angels and fairies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playtime has been halted by tree felling - and now the fridge/freezer has stopped working and is causing a lot of work as I try to rescue and salvage whatever I can... Just what we needed!

      Delete
  3. I have bee going out every evening watering my plants in the pots with the hose. The tomatoes are well watered but I have yet to see them turn red, all I have got so far is one green pepper. Need some Rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get your rain, Bill and that your tomatoes blush with delight.

      Delete
  4. we should send you our rain. its been coming down in buckets. sun shining this morning so no rain likely today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got it, Marcia! That worked a treat. I wonder what we could try next time...;)

      Delete
  5. Your granddaughter is lovely! What a charming picture. I had every intention of starting to experiment with natural dyes this year, but the weeds in my garden have different plans for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeds everywhere, Susan! We have had torrential rain and storms now, so the lawns and plants are look a bit healthier, so are the weeds..

      Delete
  6. Your grand daughter is so lovely. And it is very wise, that you do not show her features.

    Though we easily forget, our blogs are on the World Wide Net. And we have no, no, no way, to filter, who sees and reads them. And this thought is scary. Or it should be.

    Actually, if we dwell on it, for long, none of us would have a blog. :-)

    But it does do to remember the facts, now and then. We aren't just opening our lives, to nice other blogging friends. We are opening it, to the world.

    I know you use "other names," for things. But...........

    OK, now that I have spooked everyone, I'll go on my *merry way.*

    Sorry but not really sorry. I think this fact, needs to be spoken, now and then.

    Remember the old saying; "Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean that no one is out to get me!" >,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not spooked, but thank you for your concern.

      We have had dramatic storms, torrential rain, wild winds - an English summer doing what it does best!

      Delete
  7. Such fun experimenting with botanical dyes, something I might join you in doing. The moorland and machair is alive with so many wildflowers at the moment it would be interesting to use some and see the colours. The Harris Tweed was always dyed with natural resources here on the Island so it could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I would love to see that again! I hope you do have a go at doing some dyeing, Lorraine. I imagine you would get some wonderfully soft and gentle colours, the colours of the island.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.