Pages

Tuesday 24 July 2018

John Smith


I took a small trip out, yesterday.    My intention was to visit this church, just a couple of miles down the road, but in a different direction from my normal wanderings.       It is the church where Captain John Smith was baptised, back around 1580.



Unfortunately the church was closed.    It had a team of workmen in,  treating it for woodworm.    I'll leave the visit until all the fumes have died down - a month or two, perhaps!




The village of Willoughby is one which is/has been, quite unmistakeably, wealthy.      It still retains the big houses and that neat, well kept appearance, even the grass and the trees look different from your regular country yokel village - my village is definitely one of the latter.



John Smith, such a common name.           

However,  this John Smith was an explorer, an adventurer.      He left home at the age of 16, ran away to sea and began a life of adventure, during which time he served as a mercenary in the army of Henry IV of France, fighting the Spaniards,  fighting the Dutch, and then the Turks.

He went on to help found Jamestown, mapped the Chesapeake Bay area, and the rest is history.    He died in 1631, in London.

More about his life and adventures another time.


Thank you for all your comments, I am a bit late replying to them, but I will catch up. 







16 comments:

  1. When I saw your title ‘John Smith’ on my side bar my first thought was ‘Wonder what state the Labour party and the world come to that would be in now if he hadn’t died?’ An interesting thought, I like to think not nearly as bad as it is now. Best go back and read about your John Smith... Oh and I have a cousin called John Smith.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I didn't mean the beer, either! I am always amazed at just how many explorers/adventurers came from around here - couldn't wait to get away, I imagine!!

      Delete
  2. Name rings a bell. That is a nice church

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have great hopes for that church, Bill - although sometimes it is the smaller ones which prove the most interesting. By the way, at another church I came across a Commonwealth grave stone which was grey, I haven't seen one of those before. Does it have any special significance?

      Delete
    2. No might be the stone used from that area though I have seen a few slate ones in Wales. Make sure you record the headstone

      Delete
  3. he spent quite a bit of time over here. his name came up when we were last at the Chesapeake bay side he explored every inch of it. quite a distinctive church. hope. to see the inside when you get to visit again. woodworm does not sound good for old beams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops
      'side' above should be 'since'
      still typing one handed!

      Delete
    2. You are doing brilliantly, one handed typing is very frustrating, especially if you are used to touch typing. I think the interior should be quite interesting, I have resisted the temptation to read up about it, but given the history and the location...

      Delete
  4. We know him, from Jamestown, of course.

    And speaking of how the wealthy areas, 'look' different. :-)

    They have the money to pay people, to do all the 'neating-up' work of course. But thus, they lose the look of nature which I prefer.

    But my real issue is.... Watching old 'Midsomer Murders,' the way the landed gentry act, is rather comical. Looking down their noses, at the towns folk, and all.

    Is this done, for satire/comedy?

    Or, in this day and age, or in the 90's or whenever the series was made, do/did they still act this way??????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good old Midsomer Murders! Most of our villages have a much more peaceful existence, not nearly so many murders. There may be some blurring, but the 'class' divisions still exist, so don't you worry, Luna! Of course it is sometimes over played in MM, for effect - or is it? Just enjoy it for what it is. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Merely a pleasure deferred, but thank you!

      Delete
  6. there was an article in the paper today about Jamestown
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/archaeologists-have-found-the-remains-of-one-of-jamestowns-early-settlers-now-they-have-to-prove-he-is-who-they-think-he-is/2018/07/23/81c71708-8901-11e8-85ae-511bc1146b0b_story.html?utm_term=.4077f7b21bfd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Marcia. I'll go and have a read shortly.

      Delete
  7. Funny I was just reading about Jamestown
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44944073

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. I'll nip over and have a read in a moment.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.