Pages

Wednesday 4 July 2018

Teacups and Glitterballs



I popped along to the village hall yesterday.     There was nothing going on, other than miriad spiders stringing countless webs across everywhere.       

I had to fight my way through to the kitchen door, then braced myself to open it - it hasn't been used since the Christmas Bazaar and that was in November last year...



At first glance all looked surprisingly well.   Then I put my glasses on.    Woodlice, a slug, spiders, dead thunder flies, mess and mould made me wish that I hadn't bothered.    Wuss that I am.



There was nothing else for it, I rolled up my sleeves.

Next Monday we are holding another of our meetings, the numbers have been swelled by the promise of cake and tea...I needed to get in there to make sure that there were some clean cups and saucers.   



The 'best' china, of course!    

A good hot wash, rinse and dry.   They are all now safely stored on a newly cleaned tray and covered with a couple of clean tea towels.    

One job less to do on Monday.





At some point I will get back in there with my vacuum cleaner and rubber gloves, to make it more fun I may set that old glitter ball spinning!   



16 comments:

  1. Dare I say, you do too much... Of course I may say so. You do.

    And the rest of the lot, know you will. And take advantage of you.

    OK, I'll take my 'grump', away.

    You have the satisfaction of knowing, what you did.

    But....

    They still take advantage of you.

    -pout-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The village hall doesn't exist, for most people, until they are walking through the doors! Just as people make suggestions about tea and cake but don't think that someone has to take milk, tea and cake along with them, boil water, clear up afterwards.

      Most people were taught "Never volunteer for anything", I missed that lesson. So I picked up the baton. Tea and cake it is. The cleaning is extra, my mistake for putting on my specs!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure it will be alive and lively before you know it, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will simply man the kettle and slice the cake, the rest is up to them. They will have fun!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to read about the upcoming tea meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next problem I have to tackle is making a cake worthy to set before some champion cake makers...

      Delete
  4. Yes, I was thinking about how much vacuuming is in store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My vacuum cleaner will definitely need a rest half-way through, floors, walls and ceilings...

      Delete
  5. Lovely teacups! I have only stoneware mugs. I want fancy teacups. I have been looking for them when ever-so-often I am out and about. At least you will get the satisfaction of a job well done when the hall is cleaned. Lucky those who have you on their team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hall is pretty dull so I thought why not break out some pretty china to cheer the place up. I think I will also use some freshly laundered tray/tablecloths from home, turn it into a nice visual experience rather than utilitarian and functional.

      Delete
  6. Oh, you old devil you, setting the glitterball going! I expect that frightened a family of spiders! Almost a butterfly ball and a grasshopper feast (as in the children's book!)
    But how kind and how satisfying to get the place all spruced up before the next bun fight.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girls just want to have fun! You should see the moves I made on the dance floor, thank goodness most of the windows are all high level! I terrified several generations of a whole community of spiders, those very fine long legged ones which are so difficult to see, or perhaps that is simply down to my poor eyesight. Let's hope the people who expressed such an interest actually turn up on the day.

      Delete
  7. I applaud you and all the hard work you do for your community. The spiders and creatures would have put me right off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily they were all thread thin spiders - if they had been chunky ones they would still be there! I am not good with creepy crawlies.

      Delete
  8. Tea tastes so much better in cups with saucers. Good for you - the spiders would make me hesitate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the little extra touches add to their pleasure. The cake is my next worry!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.