Pages

Wednesday 10 October 2018

Torture in the Village Hall

I enjoy singing, in private,  but I have a truly terrible voice.    Even Toby the dog cocks his head on one side and looks sad when I sing, I draw comfort from the fact that at least he doesn't howl.

I learnt that my voice was rubbish when I was eight or nine years old, my friends were trying out for the school choir and urged me to, as well.  The choir master was kind, he told me to come back when I hadn't got a cold.   I got the message!!

Luckily it is one of those afflictions which can be well hidden, most of the time.

Monday afternoon saw ten of us - yes ten(!) gather at the village hall for the monthly TED's meeting.  Our group has slowly grown from just four regular attendees, which is great.   It does mean that we have to work rather harder to make the meetings interesting for the expanded group. 

The small core group are all happy to do local history, but we can't expect all the others to become quite so engrossed.



A nibble of home baking, a pot of tea and the offer of coffee, made everyone relax and feel welcome.   As usual, the hall felt chilly, despite the warmth and sunshine outside.  Next month will see us having to switch on the wall heaters, which will mean that by the time we finish our meeting, the chill will just about be  gone.     Hot drinks will be even more necessary then.

Our one and only man had come along with lots of old photographs and information about the village so these were passed around and discussed while the refreshments were enjoyed, best china, of course. 

We had yest more discussions about the booklet, more discussions and plans about the Christmas bazaar, the hanging of the old WI memorial tablecloth, and then, it was time for the torture.   

Out came the keyboard and the music books, followed by four pages of songs which we were expected to sing.   

Carol played keyboard, we sang... if you look at the photograph, you can see her head is turned away, she had a fit of the giggles.     Our assorted voices came out high and quavery, low and raspy, with every level between.   

No one was in tune.   

It was truly terrible.

We all had a wonderful time, the hall was filled with laughter.



As soon as I could I escaped to the kitchen to wash dishes and tidy things away. 

Much safer.

Guess what we are doing next month.

That's right, our older members enjoyed it so much that they want a repeat performance.   Aaaargh!








18 comments:

  1. I love to sing, too, and have a truly awful voice..mostly limit to the car when alone or in the barn while cleaning stalls!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how a bit of singing can help us get through the chores, isn't it lynda. We should sing a duet some time!

      Delete
  2. The dog doesn't mind me singing...to much...however I wouldn't inflict it upon the neighbours! Lovely to hear the hall is being used and people are getting together and having fun. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We host the meeting once a month and, although it is a commitment of time, it is nice to chat to everyone. The hall is under-used these days but it has seen some very merry events through the last century, it would be a shame if we lost it.

      Delete
  3. Tone deaf comes to mind, no worry you have not heard me sing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tone deaf is putting it politely, Bill. Strange thing is that it sounds perfect to me..

      Delete
  4. My singing can make grown men cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shouldn't sing those sentimental old songs then.

      Delete
  5. As long as everyone enjoys themselves, it doesn't really matter if you can sing or not. There is always the option of mime...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is that when it is just a small group, it is not so easy to get away with it. I compromised by just joining in with the choruses and dealing with the tea things. We are going to have to find another way to keep them happy!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I did an awful lot of that, in between stifling my giggles. It was probably the worst singing that hall has ever played host to, and yet it was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I agree with Joanne Noragon above! Lip synch! -giggles-

    But with hopes, that lots more, don't plan on doing the same thing! ,-))))

    ✨🍁✨🎃✨🍁✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new programme of events must be drawn up - with minimal singing, hopefully, but then who am I to deny people their fun, and with did have a lot of fun! Next month is another sing along, I will man the kettle and the tea cups, that gives me an excuse to escape now and then.

      Delete
  8. It's a shame about your early dismissal as a singer. I think everyone has a voice and you should just sing out till you find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sixty years on and I am still trying to find out where I hid it, hart. Don't worry, I do plenty of singing, I just prefer not to let anyone else hear me. ;)

      Delete
  9. I do sympathize - and empathize! I hadn't sung in years until I started attending church again - we do 4 hymns and a psalm every Sunday - God help us! But - we have a large congregation and a professional choir so those of us who are less talented are thankfully drowned out most weeks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margie, Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to sing out with confidence! It sounds as though you are able to enjoy some wonderful singing each week. I wonder whether we could borrow the choir for the next village hall meeting..

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.