Pages

Wednesday 17 October 2018

Village Life + Quince Chronicles Part I



A blaze of autumn colour trails along the side wall of the village hall.     Our small village hall used to be a Wesleyan Chapel, and was built around 1800.      When the 'new' chapel was built in 1895, the old chapel became a store shed for a horse and cart.


This old photograph shows you that it was a two-storey building, quite a commodious shed, then!   The building was given to the Parish Council in 1911, for public entertainment.   By the 1920's/30's it was heavily used for plays, dancing, meetings and even 'Smoking Concerts', so named because free cigarettes were distributed during the interval, along with the refreshments.   They were very popular!

It was a much used and busy venue right the way up until the late 1980's when it was decided to to remove the old chapel gallery and windows (the upper floor was removed) and add a new kitchen and toilet facilities. 

It gave the building a new lease of life and once again the building buzzed with village gatherings, plays, concerts, fairs and fun.    Not so these days!

I continued my walk up the road and headed for the mobile library van. 

They used to park right outside the village hall but these days they park up near the junction, the change being made so that a disabled resident would have a shorter distance to travel.    She paid one visit to the van, then decided it wasn't for her.    The van continues to park there, in hope.

Meanwhile I am normally the only person to use the service, which means that whether I want to take out a pile or books or not, I feel that I have a duty to do so.    Of course, normally that isn't a problem, but right now I am so busy with one thing and another that it was an effort I could have done without making. 

Wouldn't you just know it though, the shelves were groaning with tempting volumes, I staggered home (the far side of the village) with a dozen books which had waved at me from the shelves.

Two old books on local history, a book about embroidery, crime novels, and best of all, 'The Secret Life of Cows'.     It is a book about cows, surprise, surprise.     It is a fascinating read and confirms what I have long observed, that a cow is not 'just' a cow, but more of that another time.

I have watched this handsome bull grow larger all through the summer.   He, and just one cow, have spent the summer in a field in a nearby village.     He is interested in everything, but most of all he loves his food.   When I took this he was waiting for his morning rations to be dropped off.

I disappointed him, but he posed anyway.



I managed to squeeze in a quick visit to watch my grandchildren decorate 'their' windowsill for the harvest festival.    The cheesy grin tells you how chuffed my granddaughter was with what they achieved.     They were being photographed by one of their Sunday School teachers, so I thought I would get in on the act and photograph her, too.




My baking adventures with quince continue.   

A few days ago I made a Ginger and Quince Cake.  It was described as part afternoon tea, part pudding, and suitable to be served warm with custard, or on a pretty plate with tea and scones at teatime.    It stores well, keeps nice and moist.


I have tried a slice and found it to be moist, thanks to the chunks of quince, with a little bite because it also contains whole pecans, and flavoursome because of the diced chunks of ginger - recipe called for preserved ginger but I used crystallised ginger because that was all I had in the pantry.


The photographs are terrible, but the cake is delicious.  I will post the recipe over on my kitchen blog later in the week.  It can be found in the 'Quinces' book shown in the photograph.

The next dish I try from it will be a savoury one.   

I quite like the sound of 'Hot Lightning'...

28 comments:

  1. I'd often wondered what smoking concerts were - they are often mentioned in old newspaper reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I have heard of them, they were different times!

      Delete
  2. sounds interesting Hot Lighting. Nice history the village hall has and that it is still used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little hall has certainly seen a lot of change, the bazaar will be the liveliest it gets this year, Bill.

      Delete
  3. Must have been quite some renovation to take the roof off. and drop it one story. I'd like to come to your house for tea. You make some yummy sounding bake goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cost them the princely sum of £18,500! Just let me know beforehand and we'll definitely have cake.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. My husband had the last slice today, he said it was still nice and moist but not soggy.

      Delete
  5. Envious of your book selection...and all in English 😁
    Still no sign of a quince here. Almost....almost, wish someone would drop off a bag so I could try that cake recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good recipe (which I must post sometime) but I think you could use apple in place of the quince and still have a yummy cake, Linda.

      Delete
  6. Well done to your grandchildren for the window display - it looks lovely and autumnal.
    I'm now regretting all the quinces that i didn't use back at the smallholding!
    I used to be the only person at the mobile library stop in the village - too far to walk and mid afternoon, but now I drive a mile extra to the next village where I can catch the van just before lunchtime - saving me watching the clock though the afternoon and if I didn't order to collect I doubt I would find anything to read- the stock seems very static

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really enjoyed themselves, Sue, so thank you.
      Now that I have got into the swing of ordering books from them (thanks to you) it is easier, but they do rotate their stock as well...or perhaps I just forget from month to month!

      Delete
  7. That cake certainly sounds delicious and I am certainly intrigued by Hot Lightening...Our mobile library stops right outside my little cottage and to anyone else who asks, it is a wonderful service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three cheers for mobile libraries! That really is a wonderful service, long may it continue.

      Delete
  8. Great history, shame its no longer as popular. Well done for using the mobile library would be such a shame for facilities like that to stop visiting out laying villages. Love the look of your cake xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my pleasure, when we first moved here, and I was told that the mobile library called. In those days it was twice a month, these days just once, but you can take out about 30 books, as though I would be able to lug that lot home, never mind find the time to read them.x

      Delete
  9. That sumac is such a beautiful brilliant red & the brick wall sets it off. Oh Quince & Ginger cake ... no no my hips & thighs cry out! I am thankful for our close by branch of the county library system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I have a hungry husband to eat things like that, he works outside a lot so a cup of tea always needs something to go with it, lucky man! I'm glad to hear that you support your library, doesn't have to be a mobile one.

      Delete
  10. You are the only one, to use the traveling library. How sad. Just to keep it coming, more people should take a few minutes, to look and loan.

    What a beautiful stained glass window. And a lovely display, in front of it. They did well, with help from their Nana of course. :-))))

    Ohhhhhhh mercy, that cake sounds delicious!!!!!!!!!

    But I am with "Patio Postcards" above. My tummy and hips and thighs, would enlarge, with every bite! -sighhhhh-

    ✨🍁🎃🍁✨👻✨🍁🎃🍁✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very occasionally someone else will call in - perhaps once a year - otherwise they are stuck with me. I try very hard to make the call worth their while, lots of books, plenty of chat and laughter - then a quick dash home to get tea ready for the grands!

      One small slice was my share of the cake, luckily it keeps extremely well and my husband doesn't share our 'storage' problems!!

      Delete
  11. How buildings adapt to their circumstances. What a shame the village hall isn't the focus of village life as it was a few decades ago. Good for you for your one-woman support of the travelling library. I miss ours, which now no longer does the rounds but sits in one spot (3 miles away now) for several hours and then goes to another village. I can never remember when it is there and I feel it will have lost a lot of customers because of this. Council cuts, sadly.

    A lovely window display (and great cheesy grin from your grand-daughter!)

    I saw some quinces for sale at the greengrocers in Hay last time we were there, but I resisted temptation. Your cake sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was very good, but apple would probably be a substitute. At the moment we are enjoying the quinces roasted with other vegetables but I must get cracking on some real cooking with them!

      Goodness knows how much longer they can maintain the mobile library service, they threaten to cut it and yet it seems to weather the storm. They also have another service which makes house calls - which is the service which Miss Read uses, she likes Mills and Boon books, but don't tell anyone else! They make a selection, take them to her for approval, and it is done to fit in with her timetable. Brilliant, really.

      Delete
  12. I look forward to your quince cake recipe to use some of my quince. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! I appreciate you saying that. I will try to post the recipe this weekend, I promise!

      Delete
  13. I remember the mobile library calling at my grandparents' house when I stayed there as a child. They also had a mobile shop visit, and I loved the rare luxury of choosing something from them. The quince cake looks really nice and moist - I've never tasted quince. Your cow book comment made me smile: I had an encounter with an escaped cow on a walk yesterday - synchronicity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy memories, Jacqui! It is fun to do a bit of 'time travel' through our memories now and then. I have a great respect for cows, when I was a teenager I lived in the Western Isles, on a croft. I used to delight in fetching the cows in, helping with the milking, etc - these days I am content to simply enjoy sight of them, as I walk the local farms. The cow book is interesting, even taken in the small snatches which is all the time I can spare for it at the moment. Lack of time means that I haven't been over to say 'Hello' yet, will rectify that later.

      Delete
  14. My Mum and Dad used to pack their basket with books to return and sit with their coats on waiting for the mobile library that visited their village once a month, they were out of the house and round the corner as soon as they heard the engine stop. They both loved reading. When we visited our local Wildlife Trust reserve recently there were windfall quinces all over the ground near the visitor centre, it is a shame no one had picked them. Your Ginger and Quince Cake sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture you paint of your Mum and Dad is why I always feel I need to make the effort to add my weight to supporting the mobile library service! That is what it is all about. Access to books is so important - and the visit of a library van can be so important to people, not only about the books, but the pleasure and the interaction. What a shame about the quinces, they really do seem to be undervalued by so many people. at the very least they can be simply roasted with a tray of vegetables.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.