Pages

Saturday 6 October 2018

Owl Wood and Parsonage Cottage in Autumn


Leaves are falling and Owl Wood is taking on the sounds and colours of autumn.    The squirrels keep scurrying around picking up the acorns and anything else which comes their way.      Toby knows when they are around, their smell gives them away.    He wanders around with his head in the air, scanning the trees and looking for the tell tale movement of branches as they head off for a more peaceful area.

There have been some wonderfully warm days which have bathed the quince tree in golden sunlight, giving my carefully nurtured fruit the chance to ripen before I have to pick them.   The three remaining pumpkins are very large, but not fully ripe yet, most of the butternut squash have been harvested and put into store.    I am still working on processing Bramley apples from the very productive tree by the back door.






I have harvested the last few grapes, supervised by Millie, of course.


I managed to mow the lawns yesterday, hopefully for the last time this year, but it all depends on the weather.    I really dislike spending the winter looking out across vast swathes of untidy grass.   The gardens are gradually settling down into their winter mode, though there is still a way to go in some areas.



This sunflower continues to bloom and is still looking very cheerful.







It towers above this shed in the side garden, sheltered from the wind and in the second sunniest spot in the garden.











There is a definite nip in the air and rain has fallen for much of the day.    Apart from a tiny bit of housework, and cooking some breakfast for two unexpected visitors (my grandchildren) who turned up on the doorstep at 8.30am saying that their parents were still in bed and could they come and spend some time with us (!)  I have spent much of today working on the dolls for the bazaar.




The log burner is lit, I have my fabrics, threads and brushes to hand all I need is to up my production rate!   

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

14 comments:

  1. The dolls are lovely - do they have names before they go to new homes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put a lot of love into making them, but once they are finished they don't feel as though they are mine, so I don't name them. It is probably safer that way!

      Delete
  2. A lovely autumn post - how lovely that your grandchildren arrive unannounced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only have to cross from their garden to mine, so they don't have far to travel. It delights me that they are totally confident that they will be welcomed, even if I do occasionally wish that I had a moat and a drawbridge between us!

      Delete
  3. Lucky little grands. I remember making breakfast for neighborhood children in the same pickle.
    I definitely will have sunflowers next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sunflowers are amazing survivors - they just beam out their sunshine on the most gloomy days.
      They could easily have got their own breakfast at home, but why do that when you can be sure there will be food offered next door! It makes me smile. A couple of hours later they got called home for a second breakfast, no doubt they demolished that as well.

      Delete
  4. Lovely that your fruit is ripening.

    There is a real nip in the air, here too! And I think we will have the first fire in the fireplace this evening. Of course, ours is gas, so it will not be accompanied by the lovely aroma, of your wood burner. But it is pretty. And actually gives some heat. :-)

    A fire makes everything so cozy.... Mmmmm, yes!

    Your dolls are lovely! They should bring in, needed coin, for your village meeting place. They really should!

    Oh mercy! More sunflowers, thriving. My poor husband. Never able to get them really fully grown. The local "critter" just eat 'em. "Oh bother" as Pooh said....

    ✨🍁✨🔥✨🍁✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Oh bother' indeed, about the sunflowers. Perhaps next year he will be successful. They brighten the dullest day.

      Yesterday was cold and rainy, today is just cold. The log burner has already been lit and is making the place cosy. I can't believe how quickly the weeks are passing - I seem to be far less productive than in previous years - and soon the bazaar will be upon us. I am revelling in the silks and sequins, the profusion of colours and textures. I have a few more fancy ones to make then I will move on to my tweed-clad ones, my everyday angels. I like to have variety, it makes it more fun for me as I make them. My husband thinks it would be easier just to put my hand in my pocket and give them the money instead - but where is the fun in that!

      Delete
  5. Your dolls look really neat. And to have sunflowers blooming still. How can that be? Saw my daughters last week and they had all gone to seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunflowers seem to be very happy at the moment, despite the colder weather. The garden birds will no doubt enjoy the seeds as we have enjoyed the blooms.

      Delete
  6. One way to get rid of the kids when you want some me time ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parents must be worn out this weekend, we had the children again this morning!

      Delete
  7. Autumn can be a beautiful time...but sometimes the weather gets just too fierce to venture out in..then its frustrating until you realize how many jobs have been postponed as it was too good to stay indoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful to have the excuse to laze around. Today is beautiful so I can't resist the call of the outdoors. Love autumn!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.