Pages

Sunday 21 October 2018

Magic Pain Killers and Peg Dolls


Even if I were able to obtain laudanum these days I definitely wouldn't know how much was in a drachm, however, thanks to M L Riley, and her little black book of handwritten kitchen notes and recipes from 1892, I now know that a drachm is 2 salt spoons.   It would be even more handy if I possessed a salt spoon.


Magic Pain Killer

Spirit of harshorn, 1oz
Olive Oil, 1 1/2oz
Cayenne Pepper, 2 drachms
Laudanum, 2 drachms
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp brandy

Shake well in a bottle, rub the affected part with it.   It removes pains and swellings.   It is a magic remedy...allegedly.    Recipe taken from Annie's Edwardian Cookery Book.


Drawing Ointment
(for festering wounds)
Soft brown sugar
Household Soap

Mix one ounces of soft brown sugar with one ounce of plain household soap which has been softened by being cut into shavings and mixed with a teaspoonful of warm water.  Work well together so that you have an ointment consistency.  Spread on a piece of lint or clean cloth and bandage on to the wound.     from Hebridean Cookbook by Lillian Beckwith




I am thankful that I don't need either of those at the moment, as long as I remember to get up and move about every now and then, and keep doing the back exercises, a nuisance, but they do work.




I have moved on (for the time being) to making some peg dolls for the bazaar.  People request these year after year, I suppose they make useful little 'extra' gifts.   Each doll is unique, no two are dressed the same because I enjoy making them that way, dressing some for a day out, others for a day in.  They are my 'everyday' angels.



These three peg dolls are the first in a new range.   Madness!   They each have a hand sewn skirt/underskirts, plus tiny hand knitted jumper, some have hats/bags/mittens, according to my whim.

I still have some of my mother's old knitting needles and a few balls of wool.   This style of dressing the pegs came about by my need to do something fresh to relieve the boredom and goes to show, that despite the fact that I have never taken to knitting, all those years of attempting it, learning the basics and how to do some of the fancier stitches for Aran patterns, shapings, etc, but mostly just from 40 years of watching my mother constantly knit, have actually paid off.

I just made up the patterns for their jumpers and so on.   It wasn't exactly rocket science, but I was quite chuffed with the result.     My mother would be thrilled to think that she had managed to teach me this much!




These little snowmen will have hooks driven into their heads, they are tree ornaments, both sides are painted up as snowmen.     Not my original idea, I saw it somewhere else, unfortunately I can't remember where, so I can't credit them.   They are very cute, fun to do, though I could wish for a steadier hand - time creeps up on us in the most peculiar ways.


These, along with my fancy angels, all sequins and lace, are my offerings so far.    I have some other ideas simmering, so watch this space.

My self-allotted task today will be to paint some pegs to resemble 'Nutcracker' - no doubt the wobbly hand will show up, I can only hope that this adds to the charm.  😀

As you can tell, not much housework is getting done these days.      A quick dash around with the hoover and, occasionally, a duster, plump up the cushions, and that is about it.     My creative head is full of ideas but I keep getting interrupted to make meals, mow lawns and help cut back the wild growth from summer.   

All this sewing/knitting/painting time is allowing my mind to roam free and I have had lots of ideas for incredibly interesting posts - of course none of them will make it to the blog because I haven't got the time.   


40 comments:

  1. I have used the drawing ointment many years ago on a sore abscess. It worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, Susan. These old books of remedies and cures make fascinating reading.

      Delete
  2. What is harshorn? You are a very creative and crafty lady, your dolls are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My typo - I'll leave in place, otherwise people will think it is yours. Hartshorn was made from ground up deer antlers, I believe. Some of my older books use it as an ingredient in biscuits, etc, so presumably an early raising agent. Wisps of Words has left a comment about it further down the page..

      Delete
  3. I just read somewhere( http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180328-how-sugar-could-help-heal-wounds ), that sugar is found to be an effective substance to heal wounds - it prevents bacteria growth. In this antibiotics resistant bacteria world we are living this is important!. So Lillian was spot on with her ointment - as well as Annie. because chilli (cayenne) acts like painkiller! Laudanum... well, it might be effective, but not very safe.
    Old remedies, even if they seem to be bonkers, have some truth behind them. Sometimes :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ulvmor - and welcome. I really enjoy these old books with their (weird and wonderful) remedies. I wouldn't want to try many of them though. The sugar information is fascinating, will give it a go, when next an occasion arises.

      Delete
  4. The peg dolls are lovely as are the snowmen. Who cares about housework when you are so brilliantly creative!

    I should think the laudanum and the brandy would work very well for back ache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, My 'stock' of little bits and pieces is growing steadily, which probably tells you something about the state of the house! Ah, well.

      Shall I put you down for a bottle of the remedy? I hope your back has recovered, by the way.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post! I adore the dolls with the knitted jumpers, you're sooo clever :D I have two large bags of quince, so I'll be sorting them out as soon as I have a decent workspace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are going to have some fun with your quinces - far too many people just dump them, but they are a wonderful ingredient. Just remember to use a sharp knife!

      Delete
  6. I like the dolls - a lot - and praise to you for reintroducing an old art. I seem to remember my grandmother doing something in wool especially for the local church bazaar. I doubt she was using pegs though. It is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie. They are a bit fiddly to make but I do enjoy it, once I get going! I just wish I worked steadily through the year instead of having to push so hard to meet the deadline in the autumn.

      Delete
  7. Soo cool, I love thouse peg dolls yo made. I think people will snal them up.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_spoon
    A salt spoon converted to grams is 17.06g 0r about 0.06oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Bill. It all helps to raise funds for the village hall and the church in the next village! Thanks for the information about the salt spoon.

      Delete
  8. If only it was a magic potion I would definitely take some, the pain in my shoulder can be unbearable at times. I LOVE the peg dolls i all their guises, they are such fun and wonderful stocking fillers for all ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, no doubt you have tried everything, but I do know that shoulder pain can be dreadful - my older son badly damaged his shoulder, a couple of years ago and has had to have it repaired, he still suffers badly though. Those little peg dolls always make me smile, they are fun to make.

      Delete
  9. Amazing, the old remedies used to work, I still use things I learnt from my grandmother. Love old books like that. Very cute peg dolls, great fun, miniature knitting can be fiddly but worth it. I use 1mm needles when making 1/12th scale. Have fun xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissie, that sounds almost like using toothpicks! Tiny, wee things. I bet you make a wonderful job of it, mine are just about good enough, but not great!! I love the fact that you still use your grandmother's remedies. I hope you have them written down to pass them on.

      Delete
  10. You must have endless patience to make those knitted garments for peg dolls! The results are lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not endless patience, but I am patient! Once I get into the routine of making them, they grow quite quickly and because I make them all as individuals, it saves me from boredom.

      Delete
  11. You are making some charmers there. I'd love to be able to come to the bazaar and purchase some for the granddaughters. I'm going to send a link to my daughter so she can see what you've done to peg people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcia. I hope they make your daughter smile!

      Delete
  12. I love all the dolls. Each year I make up gift bags for the homeless shelter and am always looking for ideas for something small and inexpensive for the children to go into their Christmas stocking along with small books, socks, mittens etc. I'm going to make some of the peg dolls this year, thanks to your sharing pictures of the dolls you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello granny j - and welcome. Those stockings sound like a wonderful thing to do for the children, fun to make up and no doubt they give a lot of joy to the recipients.
      My daughter and I make up gift boxes for the residents of a nearby old folks home (some of them don't have visitors, or receive gifts) we alays involve the grandchildren in the preparation, it makes them stop and think about things and about people.

      Delete
  13. HARSHORN is "HarTshorn"... an ammonia, used as smelling salts.

    LAUDANUM is a narcotic.

    And BRANDY speaks for itself. ,-)

    But, none of those ingredients, would permeate the skin. In modern times, we have solutions to add, which let ingredients, permeate the skin.

    Also 'but', rubbing this mixture on a painful area, probably resulted in the feeling of heat. And perhaps, brought added blood flow to the area, thus aiding in the body's healing itself.

    I still say, those people "*should*" have left out the pepper, and sipped on it. No doubt they'd feel better, ingesting narcotic and brandy!!!! LOL

    Btw, I have 2 pharmacist in the family.

    ✨🍁🎃🍁✨👻✨🍁🎃🍁✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read some of these old books and see what they had to rely on, makes you realise how lucky we are! The handwritten books are sometimes a little sad when I see the writing become shakier and the number of remedies written in, more numerous, finally there is nothing. One can only guess at what happened to them.

      Delete
  14. And of course, all your dollies are precious!

    Great to have creativity bubbling away! It makes life, a wee bit more fun, all round. :-)

    ✨🍁🎃🍁✨👻✨🍁🎃🍁✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I am like! I like doing almost anything other than routine stuff. I hope all is going well back at your home - nothing too drastic happening...fingers crossed.

      Delete
  15. Your post filled my mind with memories of days staying with Grandma. Her answer to most ailments was a bread poultice. I remember having one bandaged around my hand when I cut it. I also remember melting butter in a saucer on the hearth and mixing honey and lemon in it for colds and sore throats. She also used to make peg dolls or peggy dolls as she called them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, I am delighted that it conjured up happy memories. I love the way we are able to 'time travel' through our memories. Do you still have any of her peggy dolls?

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately no, I have a few of her things which came to me via my mother, I just have memories of the peg dolls, the bread rising under a tea towel on her hearth and being allowed to play with the buttons, ribbons, thimbles and darning mushrooms in the drawers of her treadle sewing machine. I remember her making rag rugs from old clothing too:)

      Delete
  16. You are very creative, Elaine; I particularly love the chic outfits the peg dolls are wearing in the first picture - they look like they're models! I think it's great to have plenty of hobbies and interests - it adds much to life I think, and can take your mind off things. I have back problems and have to remember to move too, and I sometimes find that the downside of getting engrossed in something, is that I sit too long. Your book of old remedies reminds me of a simple, natural one that more than one dentist has recommended before now - salt water as a natural antiseptic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books, Jacqui, and over the years I have collected far too many. In recent years I have found, to my surprise, that old recipe books (especially the handwritten ones) are fascinating and so much more than just books about cooking food. Salt water is an excellent addition to the home remedies - easy, low cost and very effective.
      Sorry to hear that you suffer from back problems, too.

      Delete
  17. How I long to be able to create again...until the youngsters move out of the back bedroom athering is no hope though...a little knitting or crochet in the evening is my lot. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An empty bedroom became my craft room, it was lovely to finally have all my craft things in one place instead of tucked away in various cupboards and wardrobes. It helped that the son who had previously had the room had filled one wall with floor to ceiling book shelves - now filled with my craft bits.

      Delete
  18. These peg dolls are such fun. I especially like the ones with the hand-knitted TINY woollies!

    I must note down the Drawing Ointment as I no longer have my Lillian Beckwith books. I swear by a bread poultice for drawing out a thorn or splinter, or getting a boil or abscess to burst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops! Just found this comment, sorry Jennie. I think I have just about knitted myself to a standstill, which is why I am turning my attention to a bit of peg painting and sewing for a while. The woollies are not expertly knitted, but they are cute!

      Delete
  19. I love them ALL!!
    My grandmother always had drawing ointment that I remember worked really well, but I don't think that was the recipe..the pharmacist made it up....I think it was called Deschler's salve....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lynda. They should make for an interesting stand at the bazaar and help raise funds, then I can turn my attention to other things for a while!

      I haven't come across Deschler's salve, I must look it up... sheep's suet, resin, beeswax, turpentine, linseed oil seem to be the ingredients. Sounds smelly, but if it did the job..!

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.