Pages

Thursday 25 October 2018

Soldier Soldier Tutorial



Frugally Challenged, over at Trundlingthroughlife blog asked how I made these little soldiers, so I have cobbled together these instructions.    If anything is not clear, please do ask.   Thank you for all your comments on my previous post, I will be replying, as soon as I have a little time.

The little soldiers with the wooden hats (original version) are easy to make, but you will need two types of dowling, a drill, and a vice for holding things steady.



You need to cut a piece of the thicker dowling (I think mine was 18mm diameter) which will become the hat.       Drill out some wood, so that the hat will sit on top of the peg, like a hat.    Then drill a smaller hole, the thickness of the smaller dowling, right the way through the hat and also down into the top of the peg.


This will allow you to secure the hat to the peg.     You could simply use wood glue, though I am not sure how secure and long-lasting that would be.



Fix them together and then cut the thinner dowling level with the hat.  That is the tricky bit completed.

While I was out walking Toby, yesterday, planning how to present this, I came up with an alternative version, one which doesn't require dowling or drills.   You probably spotted the new boy in the line-up...


Why not make a Busby?   Dark brown wool made into a pom pom, then severely trimmed to make the shape of a hat.   Glue this in place.   Much easier, but maybe not quite so secure.   Equally charming.


That is the construction side, but let's not forget the painting.

I use acrylic paints because they give good coverage and are long-lasting.

I also neaten up the edges with permanent markers, very fine tips - these are particularly useful for finishing off the faces, but be careful not to smudge and be sure to leave them to dry - I speak from experience.

Work them in stages.



I draw the design on, then block fill them in, gradually adding more and more detail, neatening and refining.   

Final thing will be a tiny hoop which I will screw into the hat, then I will loop a golden thread through, ready for hanging as a decoration.

Have fun!

16 comments:

  1. Oh thank you! I think I may have a go if I can find some paints. And thank Toby for his help too - he's obviously a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a go, they really are cute little things - and easy to do.

      Delete
  2. Well from what I can see you don't need to drill the smaller hole the big one is all you need then use wood glue because that is what it is meant for, there are a few goods ones you can get. You could tape the hat down while it drys thus saving you all that messing about with cutting off the small dowl.You did well doing all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill - It is a bit 'belt and braces', but I can't use glues which contain solvents (migraine inducing). However, that is useful for people who don't have that problem.
      ps Can you recommend a suitable (non-fumey) one?

      Delete
    2. Elmer's wood glue doesn't contain solvents if I recall correctly. I use it in my crafts and don't get the headaches.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, granny j, I have added it to my list for when I go to the handyman's shop.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post. I was needing one more quick and inexpensive decoration and this will be perfect. Your instructions give all the information one would need to complete the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy and visually pleasing, I hope you enjoy making them, granny j.

      Delete
  4. Evostic resin W is good that has no odor and Gorilla wood glue, though I have not tried it but their other stuff works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. I have them on my shopping list, it will be interesting to see exactly what the handyman's shop stocks.

      Delete
  5. These are so clever! I may have a go at making a few before the holidays. Thank you for the details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will find them very easy to make, Susan. Have fun!

      Delete
  6. Very cute results... And obviously, you enjoy the making. That is the important part!!!

    ✨🍁🎃🍁✨👻✨🍁🎃🍁✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything beats housework! Some time soon I will have to head up to London for a few days, so I need to make sure that I make as many as I can while the going is good!

      Delete
  7. You make it look easy but I am betting you need a really steady hand. I love them and they would be perfect for my Grandsons, so I am going to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go, Lorraine, you will find them easy. Judging by the way my grandchildren reacted to them, your can rest assured, they will be well received!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.