Pages

Tuesday 13 February 2018

Still a Mystery



Yesterday I had the chance to chat to four local historians, two of whom were born and bred in this area.    I was trying to find out a little more about this beautiful, but long empty, old manor house.




I got very excited when my friend, a retired farmer, from a village just a mile away from the house said that she had been to a party in there. 

Unfortunately she was just seven years old and all she can remember is that the house was very dark and gloomy.     That would have been in 1953/4, so almost a decade before it began a life of emptiness.

No help there, but a tiny link to the place.

The second photograph shows the back of the house, not nearly so many windows as at the front, so yes, I can imagine that there are probably some long, dark corridors in there, probably very spooky for an impressionable child.

Given that the heart of the house is some three or four hundred years old, there must have been some very grand 'do's' there.     

I'll keep picking away at the puzzle, someone must know why it has been empty for so many decades.



Almost immediately behind the house there is a large mound - the buried remains of a motte and bailey castle.   A motte and bailey castle was a medieval fortification.  This one dates from 11/12th century.   The motte is about 8 metres high, the platform is about 70 metres in diameter.   It is surrounded by ditches which are about 14  metres wide.    Toby and I explored part of the ditch system - they are dry ditches - very deep and very wide.   



It doesn't exactly look impressive these days.   The mound is fenced off with barbed wire,  impossible for me to get inside, especially with Toby in tow.   

Despite the underwhelming photograph, this was some serious defensive construction work!

This area is so steeped in history, something new to learn every day.




15 comments:

  1. Have a look on an OS map of the area (landwalker range) it should show the motte & bailey plus other things of interest. Me I'd have
    Been seeing if there were many for open to look inside the manor house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an OS map, Bill, the trouble is I can't put my hand on it right now. I'll keep searching - they are very expensive these days.

      Delete
    2. I have them on my Laptop they cost around 8.99 from OS or 6.64 from amazon

      Delete
    3. Thanks Bill. That is much less than the price at the newsagents. I plan to have another good search and then if I don't find it, I'll be investing in one.

      Delete
  2. Amazing that the manor house has been standing there closed for so long. Now you have a motte and bailey castle. All these crumbs are so I interesting. Hope you can learn more and pass the story on... To us.
    Have you peered in the windows. Actually I'm surprised they haven't all been smashed. Too out of the way I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't peered in the windows, Linda. I reckoned I was being cheeky enough by walking around the back to snatch a shot or two!

      Delete
  3. Mystery house indeed. If it was in Suffolk it would have been turned into some wealthy person's second home by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, The house is only accessed through a farmyard on one side and the other side there is just a bridleway. Very quiet location, even with the farmyard just a few hundred yards away. I am glad it hasn't become a second home.

      Delete
  4. Hello. I've popped over from Sue in Suffolk's blog. I love old houses (we live in one) and wonder if you could find out something about this old farmhouse at your local records office. Folk there are generally very helpful and as curious as you! The motte and bailey castle should have a listing somewhere too . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bovey Belle, Lucky you! I'll most certainly do some digging and delving now that I know of its' existence. I only discovered it because I was pushing the dog on, to extend our normal walks. It was a magical moment when i rounded the corner and saw such a beautiful old place. Then I noticed how filthy the windows are, no curtains, etc and the questions began. Thank you for the tip.

      Delete
    2. Such places are always intriguing and you wonder WHY they are left empty, and your imagination begins to run riot! I hope you can satisfy your curiosity.

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh, please keep 'digging'! This is now a truly delicious mystery.

    Is there any sort of a realtor's sign or poster or anything, on the property? If so, they would be a source of information. But you would have seen such...

    Somewhere, there have to be written records of this place. Historical records, if there is a recognized large mound - the buried remains of a motte and bailey castle. Purchase records, of the old/newer house...

    I love it!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I am still scratching away at it! The house is not up for sale, otherwise I would be tempted to book a viewing! There will be some answers in the archives, but I want to see what the local network can come up with first. I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  6. And I thought the mystery would be solved with this post. Not the case. You only mentioned one friends information. What about the other historians you mentioned at the start of your post? What did they have to say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy Drew would have solved it all long ago, but then she didn't have to fit in all my duties! This mystery will be solved, but it will take time. Now that the questions have been asked of them, they will find out what they can. More news as and when.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.