Pages

Thursday 15 February 2018

Book Finds



Often I come away from the charity shop with nothing, occasionally I strike pure gold on the bookshelves.    Like this scruffy old one which set my heart beating a little faster with excitement.

The author was Mrs Arthur Webb, she was a writer, a broadcaster, and a popular speaker and cookery demonstrator.         She collected traditional recipes, especially those which had been hand down through family lines.

This little book is filled with tips on economizing and managing, using every last crumb to feed the family, lots of social history and a fascinating read.




Completely different, but one I haven't read before is this Lillian Beckwith book which tells of her childhood in the early 1900's.   I have posted before about her island life books.   Her style of writing is a delight and makes for a quick and easy read.




There was also a nice little Dryad book about simple doll making,  and then I found Map of a Nation which tells the fascinating story of how the Ordnance Survey maps were drafted - a book I should probably have read before I began yesterday's map of our local area.

That's my reading sorted for a day or two, all for the princely sum of £1.50.    


ps I have no idea why the fonts and background colours are so mixed but I haven't the time or the patience to sort it out right now.

8 comments:

  1. Great find in that wartime cookery! Love Lillian beckwith.
    My blog always comes out in different font sizes no matter how I try to change it. Think !y problem is the old old computer I write on. I gave up.
    Hope you sort out the problem.
    Still great blog to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The charity shop sells books for 50p, or 3 books for £1. It makes for a very happy hunting ground. Novels I read and return but these books will be staying on my shelves!

      Delete
  2. Think I would find the last one interesting though I would not mind War time cookery either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only had a brief read through the map one, but it is fascinating. The book was unread, I wonder whether it had been an unwanted Christmas gift. Maps and map-making have always fascinated me.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. Little gems which make me happy.

      Delete
  4. Some delightful books there!

    Oh isn't it funny, how fonts will change, right in a post? And all by themselves, too! ,-)

    "They say" computers don't think for themselves yet. For sure, ours don't. But.... Sometimes...... You wonder.... Did your computer wake up this morning, and decide, it just "had" to do something different??? So it changed your font?

    Suppose you should be glad, that that's all "it" decided to "do"! -giggggles-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that, it did do some 'updating', without permission from me. More gremlins in the system, no doubt. We'll see how it goes today!

      We also lost the internet connection for a while yesterday morning, so perhaps I was being told not to post.
      The books are proving to be great reads, I am really happy with them.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.