Pages

Tuesday 27 February 2018

Miscellaneous Household Tips - 1941 and Earlier


  • New shoes too tight?   Try placing a raw peeled potato inside, leave overnight and in the morning your shoes will fit comfortably...
  • Repair children's soft slippers by knitting a new toe-cap.  Cast on about 12 stitches and increase each end of the needle until the width required and knit enough to cover the toe-cap, then stitch on.  Any odd piece of four-ply wool will do.  Mrs Stanley.
  • To make white salad cream without eggs use a small tin of condensed milk, one teaspoonful of olive oil, one and a half teaspoonfuls of vinegar, one teaspoonful of mustard, and one teaspoonful of milk to thin the liquid.  Miss E Patterson.
  • When meat is scarce, boil together split peas, lentils and rice (or split peas and rice without lentils).  If possible buy unpolished rice.  (But where can this be found in England?)  The Rev W Grange White.
  • Always wash new stockings before wearing them.  The washing toughens the material of which they are made, and so they will wear longer.
  • A piece of strong net, the same colour as the stocking, cut larger than the hole, makes a good foundation for a large darn.   Tack the net on the inside of the hole and darn in and out on the right side until the hole is well covered.
  • Clean your rainproof coat by rubbing with hot salt, applied with a clean piece of flannel.  Turn the flannel as it gets soiled.
  • To clean Crape.  Rinse the crape in ox-gall and water to take out the dirt, and then in clean water.   Finally, place in gum-water, to stiffen, then beat it between the hands until dry.
  • For receding gums, rinse the mouth several times a week with tincture of myrrh, a few drops added to a little water.   Use this at night, and in the morning, use salt and cold water as a mouth wash.
  • Hair can never be glorious unless it is well groomed.  The crowning glory of a woman should shine like the coat of a thoroughbred racehorse.   Constant brushing with clean brushes, proper lotions, careful shampooing and never drying the hair by a fire, but with warm towels, will keep it in good condition.
  • Clean porcelain sinks with paraffin, washing well afterwards with carbolic soap and water to get rid of the smell.
  • A home-made clothes cleanser can be made by taking about 20 ivy leaves, first washing them, and then steeping them for about 2 hours or so in a pint of water.   This liquid should be strained, and it will restore the freshness to most kinds of cloth.    It should be applied with a nailbrush.




NB  Please do not try these at home!

12 comments:

  1. Where did you dig up those old wives tails Mrs Beaton? Think I need to look at her book again. I'm sure my wife can tell me about the receding gums one but my favourite is the first one. Now where are those spuds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found most of them in an old book "The Best Way Book" and the remainder came from "Home Words". You know me and my old books!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, some of these hints sound like a lot of work, especially the last two. Fun to read though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Henny Penny, Things have certainly moved on in the last century! I love looking back, if nothing else it makes me happy to be where I am.

      Delete
  3. 1. Add moisture. Shoe will stretch a bit, in morning, I guess. :-)))

    5. Wash new socks... I was new 'everything.' Who knows what the items came in contact with, during making, and on to you...?

    7. Clean with hot salt... Mmmm, how did they heat the salt, I wonder?

    8. Thankfully, mourners don't have to wear crepe bands, anymore. What a job, to clean them!!!

    9. Myrrh... Gracious! Some are still touting Myrrh! I found an article called "10 Proven Myrrh Oil Benefits & Uses"... No, I am not linking to it. ,-))))))))

    12. Home-made clothes cleanser to be applied with a nail brush. Isn't that going to take an awful lot of time, to do????? :-)

    And some say, "the good old days!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These old books, with their hints and tips, really illustrate some of the differences which a century have made...especially if you get on to the remedies and cures. Some of them are toe-curlingly awful and others would almost certainly have given people quite a drug dependency habit. (As for the salt, I expect they put it into the oven for a while.)

      Delete
  4. Some very unusual remedies though probably not for the age they were written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very grateful that I don't have to resort to paraffin and carbolic, or ox-gall!

      Delete
  5. I can remember using a Herbal remedy for ear-ache for my kids (and it worked!) but I did pray that we didn't have to take them to the Dr as it was a leaf or two of Navelwort pounded to a pulp with a little boiled water. Can you imagine having to explain GREEN earholes?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that one before... I must have a look to see what Navelwort looks like, just in case!

      Delete
  6. Oh and I also made (still make) a hand cream for sore hands using elderflowers and melted lard. It really works but needs a couple of drops of a nice essential oil or it smells like a roast when you take the lid off! I have run out or I would be using it on the split by my nail in one of my fingers. The recipe came from a 1970s book called Farmhouse Fare, which was a collection of recipes published in the Farmer's Weekly magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been along to my shelves and pulled out my copy of the book. I had forgotten what a brilliant section 'The Corner Cupboard' is. Guess what my reading for the day will be. It won't be long until elderflower season and my dry old skin could do with some proper nourishment. I would probably prove very popular with all the dogs.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.