Pages

Monday 19 February 2018

Going Round the Bend



Most of my walks are done off-road but occasionally we come across a bit of tarmac.   This very quiet lane leads from a tiny village to the old mysterious and empty manor house and farm.  It rarely sees any traffic. 

Perfect!



On one side of the lane is a hill.   I scrambled up, through brambles and shrubs, and found that it is where St Mary's church used to stand, until it was demolished in 1976.    Research tells me that there has been a church on the site since the 13th century - and no doubt it was regarded as a special place long before then, too.     There will have been quite a few 'lords of the manor' buried here, through the centuries, as well as villagers.

Impossible not to feel the echoes of time, people, and place.

I explored a little, took some photographs, tried to read the names on the gravestones and felt sad.

Time to turn around and head home.




We slip around the side of those gates, up past the converted coach house (on the left) and then veer right, passing between a large pond and the old manor house, before picking up the bridlepath which leads  through fields and the way home.




But first we walk past this old farm building, it has the most wonderful old sagging beams, a curved brick wall which is built into a bank, then another building facing it. 

Unfortunately the yard between them is ankle deep in water at the moment, a definite no-go area for Toby, so no decent photographs. 

Once again, it is all but impossible to ignore the feel of the place and the old farm.




Back to the duck pond and into the present.




"The rain it raineth", today. 

The fields will be very slippery and soggy so we'll  have to content ourselves with a different walk, deliberately seeking out the tarmac lanes. 

Dry days see us going further round the bends, we'll be getting our explorer badges before we know it.



8 comments:

  1. Such a lovely walk routine you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that fresh air and exercise is definitely more fun that housework!

      Delete
  2. "a church on the site since the 13th century - and no doubt it was regarded as a special place long before then, too." Oh yes, perhaps a sacred well, or some such. I love the really old, old, old.

    The converted coach house, looks as if it is occupied. Yes? But they have let the rest, just go to rack-and-ruin?

    I *have* to ask, are you ever concerned for your safety, going on these out of the way rambles? No, I doubt you are. Which is lovely. But I'll bet, not all of your country, is so safe... "The World Of Now" is encroaching everywhere. -sigh-

    Love your rambles! Keep taking us with you, please! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coach house may be used as an occasional holiday home, but it is definitely not in regular use, Luna.
      As to safety - I can honestly say that I have never felt in danger, but to reassure you: Now that we roam so far, I have got into the habit of taking a working mobile phone with me. The walks we do are generally in very open spaces so, on the extremely rare occasion that we see another walker, I have time to get Toby back on his lead. He isn't a courageous dog, but he is on the big side, growls quite menacingly if strange people invade his space, he is very solid and makes a very good guardian.x

      Delete
  3. Oh I'd love to explore this! Thanks for sharing the old place with us as I can feel the pull of its past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These quiet places have so many stories to tell and I love listening to them!

      Delete
  4. Nice walk though looks a tad muddy for me to take a sheltie, he would be like dragging a broom though it. That old churchyard looks interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bad enough with my Lab cross, it takes a good ten minutes to clean him down at the end of my walks. Mud, mud, and more mud. Roll on some drier weather. I'll post some more about the churchyard, it is in a sad and sorry state.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.