Pages

Wednesday 7 February 2018

Allium Ursinum and the Fair Maids of February

Our little patch of woodland, formerly known as Owl Wood,  lacks owls but is otherwise teeming with wildlife and nature.    The place has always had its fair share of pigeons, pheasants, jackdaws, magpies, wrens, robins and owls.   





Unfortunately, these days the owls have abandoned the place, though I do hear them out and about at night,       However,  woodpeckers seem to visit very regularly which is a new development.    I have yet to spot them, which says more about my eyesight than the camouflage skills of the woodpecker.


Squirrels visit and do their best to demolish bird feeders and delight in teasing the dog.   There are a couple of hedgehogs quietly slumbering through the worst of the winter weather, warm and cosy in their hibernation nests.   We even have the occasional deer and once in while the fox drops by, which is less worrying now that we no longer have any hens in the woods.




Right now there are numerous 'Fair Maids of February' - snowdrops - so named because of their habit of flowering in February, though they were a little earlier this year. 
Little signs of activity everywhere, new growth, the promise of Spring to come, sometime.



These strange-looking things are the very first shoots of the Allium ursinum -  bear leek, wild garlic!   




Of course they don't look anything like this right now, they are tiny little shoots, but they do have a very intense garlic smell.


In a few weeks I should be busy in the kitchen turning out some seasonal treats.




Baked goodies, wild garlic bread, flans, scones, pesto and anything else I can come up with.   A seasonal treat to be enjoyed.

But first we have to get through winter.

12 comments:

  1. Oh please keep calling it Owl Wood. I so love that name! Like "Hundred Acre Wood"... :-) So sorry the owls have abandoned it, as their home. But if you hear them, they can't be tooooooo far away. Maybe? So, perhaps they will come back...? 'Hope springs eternal' and all that...

    Never saw Snowdrops called 'Fair Maids of February'. I like this name better. We won't see them for a long time, due to all the snow which keeps piling on here. But this is NE of US winter. :-)

    Oh those things you will be baking with wild garlic!!!!! Oh mercy, oh mercy, they look delicious. Is the pie crust with filling, a flan? Have heard of flans, but am not familiar with them.

    Oh sigh....... This photo looks good enough to eat!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello wisps of words, Somehow I think the family will always know it as Owl Wood, after that unforgettable year when we had three owlets hatched and fledged in there. The 'owl men' replaced the old owl box the following year. My suspicion is that there is something not quite right about it. When they come round for the spring assessment I shall ask them about it.

      Delete
  2. We were given some wild garlic rooted plants last spring and planted them at the end of the meadow, but I think it may well have been too dry for them to survive. I shall keep looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, You never know, you may get a lovely surprise. I am only aware of these because I get more excited about the wild garlic than I do about snowdrops, bluebells or primroses, and I know the area where they are most prolific. Fingers crossed for yours. If we were a little closer I would let you have some fresh bulbs.

      Delete
  3. I love the name 'owl wood' and your stories of it. Beautiful...and the baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, Thank you. Don't worry, it will remain Owl Wood, though I do need to verify that the replacement box which they installed is truly attractive to owls, or perhaps I should put a little 'To Let' sign on the roof.

      Delete
  4. I'm with the others... I can't bear to think its being called anything but Owl Wood. They might come back, you know! :~)

    And, oh, the baked goods!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chip Butter, Don't worry, Owl Wood it will remain. I haven't quite given up all hope yet. For a year or two there were no owl calls, at least we can hear them around the place again, so they may take up residence yet.

      Delete
  5. You do live in an idyllic place with all that wildlife, think I would be setting up a hide to take photos. You need to watch out for two types of woodpecker, green & spotted. Those scones look yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill, We are just in the process of building a platform in the trees for the grandchildren, I think it could serve as a very good place to sit and watch.

      Delete
  6. I love the name "Owl Wood" too. I love owls. We hear them down on the creek occasionally...and ever now and then an owl snatches one of the guineas from the cedar tree where they roost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Henny Penny, Oh dear, poor guinea!
      I have just done my first bit of whittling for a peg doll - so far, so good! Thank you so much for that lovely post.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.